New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

how to make a patch ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bubu2012

bubu2012 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone may know the answer to my question
I want to create a patch for a application I developed.
Basically, I have the old application that is 100mb, and the new one that is 105mb.
A patch would be a small file that would probably be around 5mb, that we run on top of the old application to transform it into a new application.
People familiar with games know what I'm talking about.

In windows there's a lot of solutions for this , in Mac I'm having a hard time finding anything.
The only one I found is Ipatch, but it's old (2007) and crashes when I apply the patch.
Can you guys recommend anything ?

Thanks a lot,
Bruno
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu2012 View Post
Hey guys,

Hopefully someone may know the answer to my question
I want to create a patch for a application I developed.
Basically, I have the old application that is 100mb, and the new one that is 105mb.
A patch would be a small file that would probably be around 5mb, that we run on top of the old application to transform it into a new application.
People familiar with games know what I'm talking about.

In windows there's a lot of solutions for this , in Mac I'm having a hard time finding anything.
The only one I found is Ipatch, but it's old (2007) and crashes when I apply the patch.
Can you guys recommend anything ?

Thanks a lot,
Bruno
Cant help you as such, but FYI you said "In windows there's a lot of solutions for this , in Mac I'm having a hard time finding anything."

Windows is Software, not hardware, Mac is Hardware not software. So the correct terminology is "In Windows there's a lot of solutions for this , in OS X I'm having a hard time finding anything."

Just saying So in future if you go somewhere else looking for solutions you have the right Terminology

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Most game "patches" are actually replacing old files with new files, they aren't usually going in and modifying the binaries to make it the new one. Why cant you provide an update that will just replace your application binaries?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Moved to a more appropriate forum - this is a development question.

Learn to love the patch tool. That of course is only helpful if you're recompiling from source. Is this patch to be applied by you/an end user with access to the source or an end user who only has access to the binaries?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bubu2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Most game "patches" are actually replacing old files with new files, they aren't usually going in and modifying the binaries to make it the new one. Why cant you provide an update that will just replace your application binaries?
Well, I'm using Unity Engine, and Unity binary is always the same, what changes is the content of the packages inside Unity, this packages work like a Zip file.
So, if I exchange a 1 for a 2 in a game, the entire package will change, so I would need to replace a 500mb file with another 500mb file just because of a small change.
I found in Windows programs that compare binary both files, the old and the new, and are able to make patches (in this case) of size 1kb, because not much in the file has changed.
QUOTE Thanks
bubu2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Moved to a more appropriate forum - this is a development question.

Learn to love the patch tool. That of course is only helpful if you're recompiling from source. Is this patch to be applied by you/an end user with access to the source or an end user who only has access to the binaries?

Only access to the binaries, I don't think the Patch tool will work in this case.
As stated above, it's a game I need to update, and a game made in the Unity engine, so it's actually the Unity packages that need updating.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Take a look at this and see if it fits: M2HPatcher - The Unity patching solution

If it doesn't, you'll find a lot more useful responses from other developers on the Unity forums..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bubu2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Take a look at this and see if it fits: M2HPatcher - The Unity patching solution
It doens't , M2HPatcher doesn't work with files bigger than 500mb
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This is going to be a problem if you're trying to patch a monolithic file. Your best bet is to provide an application to do the patching on the end user's system.

I'm not familiar with the way that Unity creates applications but it sounds like it creates binaries similar to "traditional" OS X ones - it's a binary that's actually contained in an elaborate container (archive for Unity, folder for OS X). If this is indeed the case, can you not simply create an application that patches the end user's copy by decompressing their copy of the Unity package, replacing the necessary files and recompressing it?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bubu2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
This is going to be a problem if you're trying to patch a monolithic file. Your best bet is to provide an application to do the patching on the end user's system.

I'm not familiar with the way that Unity creates applications but it sounds like it creates binaries similar to "traditional" OS X ones - it's a binary that's actually contained in an elaborate container (archive for Unity, folder for OS X). If this is indeed the case, can you not simply create an application that patches the end user's copy by decompressing their copy of the Unity package, replacing the necessary files and recompressing it?
Yes, I can simply replace the files, but then the size of the game will be mostly the same, and not an actual patch.
But it seems what I'm trying to find doesn't exist in OS X, I don't get why.
The closest I found was Ipatch( iPatch.org ) , but it's old, and crashes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to get automator to print 4x6 | Intro & Shell Script Question »