New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

need developer to convert powerpc program to Lion compatible

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TimesAlive

TimesAlive is on a distinguished road

Can someone tell me how to find a developer to convert our power pc program into an intel version? My original developer is unavailable. The program is called Times Alive and comes in a cd rom flash based program. It has worked on every OS until Lion. Any suggestions how to find someone for this?
QUOTE Thanks
Mark FX

Mark FX has a spectacular aura about

If you type "Find a Developer" into a Google search, you will get loads of sites.

Also you should be a little more specific, for example, what programming language is
your app written in, and what development tool was used to make the app, and also do
you have the original source code and project files available.

Regards Mark
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Lion does not support Rosetta so no PowerPC applications.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You need to contact the developer:

City Creek Press - Storybooks, music, and software for learning basic math facts with pictures.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Lion does not support Rosetta so no PowerPC applications.
Hence he is looking for somebody to rewrite the app to be supported in Lion...

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
Hence he is looking for somebody to rewrite the app to be supported in Lion...
rewriting someone else's (closed source) app is, IMO, highly unethical

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesAlive View Post
The program is called Times Alive and comes in a cd rom flash based program.
Flash is platform-agnostic - the code is compiled to an intermediary format which works on any platform that has a Flash runtime. You shouldn't have to rewrite anything.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I've seen a lot of adds asking for developers on Craigslist, so you might want to try that for your local area. The next thing up is developer job boards. Sorry, I don't have any to suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
rewriting someone else's (closed source) app is, IMO, highly unethical
As I understand it, the OP is saying that this is their app. They own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Flash is platform-agnostic - the code is compiled to an intermediary format which works on any platform that has a Flash runtime. You shouldn't have to rewrite anything.
I'm not sure that they are saying it is written using Flash. The OP might want to clarify that. If the past programmer is available to discuss the development environment used to develop it, then they should at least get that much information out of them.

Man, the coincidence, I'm scheduled to be in Minneapolis, MN in a week. If that works out, I won't be available for extra work.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post

As I understand it, the OP is saying that this is their app. They own it.

Well, that makes a whole bunch more sense. Somehow, I'd missed that in my initial reading. My apologies to the OP

mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
I'm not sure that they are saying it is written using Flash. The OP might want to clarify that. If the past programmer is available to discuss the development environment used to develop it, then they should at least get that much information out of them.
That could very well be the case. It could also be a Flash app wrapped in an exe which might explain why the app needs to be "ported." I'm jumping ahead here though.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That could very well be the case. It could also be a Flash app wrapped in an exe which might explain why the app needs to be "ported." I'm jumping ahead here though.
If its in an application runtime, then the only thing you can do is contact the developer. It only needs to be re-exported in a recent version of Flash, but you cannot decompile a projector app, you still need to contact the developer for the original Flash files.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
If its in an application runtime, then the only thing you can do is contact the developer. It only needs to be re-exported in a recent version of Flash, but you cannot decompile a projector app, you still need to contact the developer for the original Flash files.
Absolutely. I would have imagined however that the developer would have left the source with the client. If that were the case, you wouldn't have to port anything - a simple compile should do the job.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TimesAlive

Thanks Vansmith. I have the original source files and yes I own it. What do you mean a simple compile would do it? If it is exported into a more recent version of flash, will it work? The user now gets the error, does not support power pc programs. I am not sure what other language was used. But the user clicks on flash.exe to run the program and it comes packaged with the software. It is an interactive program with animated videos and songs, flash, and writes student files to the user's hard drive. Nothing installs on the computer but it is run off the cd rom drive.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If it is Flash (as in Adobe Flash), the code is platform agnostic. In other words, you don't need to create multiple versions since the code itself will work on any platform that Flash is supported on.

It would appear here that the developer took the Flash content and "wrapped" it in an exe file. They probably did this because Flash doesn't compile to native executables - it gets compiled into its own format (swf). What you need to do is take the source, compile it in Flash (which will create the swf file) and then find a way to get it to run as a binary. I don't know how to do that last step so I'll have to leave that to a more experienced Flash developer. From where I sit, I would just compile to swf, embed it into a webpage and put that on the disc but there may be a more elegant solution. You could also make it an AIR app which has the benefit of being cross-platform (info here). This last solution however requires the AIR runtime to be installed (which I believe can be installed on demand but I'm not positive).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TimesAlive

Thanks that is most helpful. It helps me understand the direction to go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Siverlight 5 OOB application deployment in iMac | Basic AppleScript w/Terminal Question »