New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

I have an idea for an App!...advice needed.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geek71

geek71 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Well I am not sure if this is the correct area to start this thread, if not my apologies.

Anyway, I have an idea for an App for the Mac (I am assuming OS X refers to Mac).
I do not want to be too specific, but the App will be for the Education arena.

I have no experience with developing Apps nor any time. So I am willing to pay a
developer to design it for me.

I would appreciate some suggestions on how I can find a developer and any additional
helpful advice.

If all goes well I would like to have this App featured on the App Store

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't want to seem like throwing cold water on your dream, but you did ask for advice.
The truth is that good ideas are a dime a dozen, the real work is in implementation. That applies to almost everything, from writing novels to starting businesses.

Having gotten that out of the way, if you really want to pursue your idea you need to get rid of the "I don't have time" mentality; that will not cut it. You are the one with the vision, you can't hire someone to have it for you. You can on the other hand find someone to partner with, but that doesn't mean tossing your idea over the fence and walking away untill it is done.

If it were me, I would start by developing a plan for the APP (probably a series of Powerpoint slides) demonstrating what the APP does, its intended market and any other particulars, as well as mockups of screen visuals.
This will serve several purposes:
1) It will refine the project in your mind
2) It will help in recruiting a partner
3) It will serve as a roadmap for the project

BTW I am not a developer, but have managed and sold many engineering projects through the years, so take the above FWIW.
Good luck

Hth
Razormac

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
geek71

geek71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I don't want to seem like throwing cold water on your dream, but you did ask for advice.
The truth is that good ideas are a dime a dozen, the real work is in implementation. That applies to almost everything, from writing novels to starting businesses.

Having gotten that out of the way, if you really want to pursue your idea you need to get rid of the "I don't have time" mentality; that will not cut it. You are the one with the vision, you can't hire someone to have it for you. You can on the other hand find someone to partner with, but that doesn't mean tossing your idea over the fence and walking away untill it is done.

If it were me, I would start by developing a plan for the APP (probably a series of Powerpoint slides) demonstrating what the APP does, its intended market and any other particulars, as well as mockups of screen visuals.
This will serve several purposes:
1) It will refine the project in your mind
2) It will help in recruiting a partner
3) It will serve as a roadmap for the project

BTW I am not a developer, but have managed and sold many engineering projects through the years, so take the above FWIW.
Good luck

Hth
Razormac
Thanks for your response Razor! Actually I am looking for a partner. True, I have the vision, but with a day job it is difficult to do it myself. And also, a professional that makes Apps can work more efficiently than I can since they already have the knowledge and experience.

I believe there is a need for the App I want to create since I have not seen one like it yet. And it is for a particular niche: Math Teachers. I am one myself. I do not want to give too much away...lol

A bit off the subject, is there a mock-up app you recommend? I want to create one for starters.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek71 View Post
Thanks for your response Razor! Actually I am looking for a partner. True, I have the vision, but with a day job it is difficult to do it myself. And also, a professional that makes Apps can work more efficiently than I can since they already have the knowledge and experience.

I believe there is a need for the App I want to create since I have not seen one like it yet. And it is for a particular niche: Math Teachers. I am one myself. I do not want to give too much away...lol

A bit off the subject, is there a mock-up app you recommend? I want to create one for starters.

Thanks
Sorry, I don't know of any APPs that might help. I would use MS Powerpoint and put together some slides that mimic screenshots of how you envision your APP looking, as well as flow of the process.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

To create a mockup, I suppose you could Interface Builder itself (which comes with Xcode). There's also Photoshop if you're comfortable with it - mockup templates here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
To create a mockup, I suppose you could Interface Builder itself (which comes with Xcode). There's also Photoshop if you're comfortable with it - mockup templates here.
Good resource!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Crash using block stored in mutable dictionary | Output Custom EDID »