New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Mac Script Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xXRiLeYXx

xXRiLeYXx is on a distinguished road

Okay. I will say that I came from another forum searching for help, as no one there really knows anything about Mac scripts, but seem to know everything else about FreeBSD, Linux, and of course Windows.

I know many languages including those like C++ and Java, and I know a bit about the Mac syntax and a couple of it's commands, but I am stumbling when it comes to this script as I have never written a shell script for mac.

Can someone please help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo Enter Username:
read user
sudo dscl localhost -read /Search/Users/$user | grep GeneratedUID | cut -c15-
echo Copy above line for GUID:
read guid
sudo cat /var/db/shadow/hash/$guid | cut -c169-216
echo Above is the mac hash...
Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm not sure why the *nix people couldn't help since you're writing a bash script. Anyway...

You'll have to be a little more specific. What about the above isn't working? What are you trying to accomplish and what are you getting when you run this?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

/var/db/shadow/ <-- for starters does this directory exist? It doesn't on my Mac.

I also generally don't like $user, it's too close to an already defined system variable.

Additionally, I'd personally do something like :
Code:
i=sudo dscl localhost -read /Search/Users/mike | grep GeneratedUID | cut -c15-

cat $i
Instead of making the user copy/paste

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of $user, you could use the following (that's not a typo - there's no slash between /Search and $HOME since $HOME contains the slash):
Code:
/Search$HOME
Like Dys, also I don't have /var/db/shadow nor do I have /Search.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

yea, but you will get results from

sudo dscl localhost -read /Search/Users/$USER

Oh and other than that.. No, I will not help you parse out and decrypt a password.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
xXRiLeYXx

xXRiLeYXx is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't care about that, I know how to do it. I was just looking for a faster way...
But okay...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXRiLeYXx View Post
Can someone please help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?
Quote:
Well, I don't care about that, I know how to do it. I was just looking for a faster way...
But okay...
Is there something wrong or do you want a quicker way? Care to explain what it is that you're trying to accomplish? Knowing this will help make this a quicker process.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
But okay...
If you knew how to do it, scripting it would be a simple matter of passing the same commands. Without knowing what the failing point is, it's impossible to tell you what you're doing wrong. Although, since you're running sudo commands, you're not in an environment where you can access what you want to.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slightly Better authorization sample fails only in Leopard | Programming C on Xcode »