New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Make Terminal command

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

richbits

richbits is on a distinguished road

Forgive me if this is not the correct place to post, but I found a similar question here.

I have used a mac as my main machine for about 6 years, but have had no real need to get involved in the terminal. I've dabbled with xcode, but wanted to try something new and decided to try to learn Python. The first step was downloading Python, and then following the readme instructions as follows:

Code:
On Unix, Linux, BSD, OSX, and Cygwin:

./configure
    make
    make test
    sudo make install

So I have run the first step although it doesn't appear successful:

Code:
checking for --enable-universalsdk... no
checking for --with-universal-archs... 32-bit
checking MACHDEP... darwin
checking machine type as reported by uname -m... x86_64
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/Volumes/Richard Home/richard/Downloads/Python-3.2.2':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details
Any help on this would be appreciated....

But then I don't seem to be able to run the make command, which is how I ended up at the link above.

I've followed the advice within the post with the following results:

Code:
Richards-Mac-Pro:~ richard$ which gnumake
Richards-Mac-Pro:~ richard$ sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gnumake /usr/bin/make
Password:
ln: /usr/bin/make: File exists
Richards-Mac-Pro:~ richard$ which make
Richards-Mac-Pro:~ richard$
I have reinstalled xcode (from the app store), but still get no result from which make.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to get python 3.2.2 up and running.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Any particular reason you're building Python? Not only is it included with OS X but the Python website has pre-built binaries.

Python installers: http://python.org/download/

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
richbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Any particular reason you're building Python? Not only is it included with OS X but the Python website has pre-built binaries.

Python installers: Download Python
Ah, thanks... Yes too much haste....

Doesn't explain "which make" not returning a path, but should get me on the road to installation.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

echo $PATH

I bet /usr/bin does not exist in your path.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
echo $PATH

I bet /usr/bin does not exist in your path.
That would make sense since that's where make resides but I have no idea how /usr/bin/ wouldn't be in the user's path. I have however seen Xcode installs go wrong and leave certain symlinks uncreated (make is a symlink to /usr/bin/gnumake).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
richbits

Thanks for your replys, sorry I've been tied up for a few days.

my path is as follows:
Code:
Richards-Mac-Pro:Python-3.2.2 richard$ $PATH
-bash: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin: No such file or directory
so it does contain /usr/bin, but gets a bit messy towards the end. Not sure what the No such file or directory is referring to (I get it on my macbook too).
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Throw "echo" in front of that and you won't get that error.

What do you get when you execute the following?
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/make

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Did you load the xcode development environment? If not that maybe why the make command is not available.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
richbits

Thanks, I've reinstalled xcode again and it all seems to have sorted itself out.

Many thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Applescript eject busy drive | Bluetooth programming question »