New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

iTunes Applescript copy to NAS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shughes

shughes is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am trying to get a simple Applescript to allow me to select a bunch of files in iTunes, and the script will copy the files across to my NAS as a backup. I want the script to have coded into it the base location of my music directory on the NAS, and the script will take the artist name and album name from each track and copy it into the following file location \\baselocation\artist\album\tracknumber - tracktitle.fileextension

I have looked around the internet, including dogs scripts, but can not find anything relevant. I have code for selecting the files and created a for loop to enumerate them, but can't figure out how to generate the correct file path, or copy file syntax. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

You can probably do this with just a script but I use an application called backuplist+ Here's a link for it Rob DuToit OSX Software It's been a great tool so far and has several options for backups and works fine with a NAS setup.
QUOTE Thanks
shughes

shughes is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that, I will take a look.

But I am hoping to do this as a script as it needs to be part of a workflow. I rip the CD into iTunes in Apple Lossless format, select the script, and I want it to copy the files to the nas, convert them to aac128 format, and then delete the original lossless file.

End result is a nice lossless file on the NAS for the Sonos to play, and a nice compressed version in iTunes for me to sync to iPhone,iPad, etc.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Ah I see. More than just a simple backup to NAS. Well here's a good place to start. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes Quite a few scripts that could maybe do what you need.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Select audio output" applescript? | AppleScripting Archiving to Finder of Mail Messages »