New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Is there an easy way to write iphone/mac apps ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

viezu

viezu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ipad 3g 64gb, Iphone 4, MBP 15 i7, Hi-Res A/Glare, 512mb Grafix, 500Gb 7200rpm Drive, 8Gb Ram

I would like to have a play with making some apps but have never done this before so wondered if there was a software package that will allow me to have a try at making one ?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Well, there is THE software to make IOS/OSX apps. Xcode. It is free, although very large so you are going to need a fairly decent connection to get it.

However, be advised that Xcode and Objective-c are not something that you are going to be able to sit down with for a few hours and then begin to use to whomp up really impressive apps. The learning curve is very long and steep. By the way, Xcode is the programming suite and Obj-c is the language.

I don't mean to discourage you by any means. I encourage anyone who is interested in learning programming to give it a try. But just realize that you are not going to write the next Angry Birds in your first month. Have fun learning how to make a button and click on it to do something, then move on to the next level.

First, get a beginning Objective-C book. The language doesn't change at all - at least at the beginner level. You will have to know some basic Obj-c before you do anything with Xcode besides make pretty windows.

My experience says don't waste your money buying an expensive XCode book. The suite changes too much and too often and leaves the book behind. Get your Xcode info from the web.

Go for it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AppleScripting Archiving to Finder of Mail Messages | USB making? where to start »