New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

best GUI option for my simple needs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowboytaketwo

cowboytaketwo is on a distinguished road

I'm brand new to C++. I need to build an app on OSX Lion with xcode that has a very simple GUI. I'd like a fullscreen black window (no menu bar, scrolling, or resizing - just a black screen). In this window I'd like to have minimalist clickable buttons that are single color rectangles with text inside, in a custom layout. That's it. I'd prefer no other pre-designed GUI artifacts of any kind on screen.

As far as CPU usage, I'd like to find the most lightweight way of accomplishing this. Cocoa, wxWidgets? Is there a better option out there? Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Cocoa, Objective-C, and the Apple documentation which includes building full screen apps.

You can use C++ to build GUI apps as I recall, but it's a hassle as the system is all about using Objective-C the non-C++ frame works.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

wxWidgets will give you easy cross platform support if that's a concern for you. You could also look into Qt which is also a fairly comprehensive (and cross platform) toolkit.

Admittedly, the bit of programming I do is not C/C++/Obj-C so I have no idea how these toolkits perform with C++.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Xcode will do what you want. I'm not saying that it will be easy, but I regularly use Xcode as the GUI front end to Perl. If it does that, then it will certainly talk to C++. Actually, the calling mechanism of the Task object will probably allow you to call any foreign language, except maybe for Basic.

Your problem is that you will have to learn enough Objective-C to make the widgets/controls accept and post the data from your C++.

As to where you are going to get a tutorial or book on the subject of C++ under Xcode, I have no idea.

As vansmith said, wxWidgets or Qt will probably have a far lower learning hill to climb. My only problem with non-Apple supplied suites, is that they usually stop working after every major OSX upgrade, and you have to hunt down the fixes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No subclass NSobject in mainmenue.nib xcode 2.5 | Calling Perl Script From AppleScript »