New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

JRE on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jim Nasium

Jim Nasium is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 build.

Anybody know:

1) Where I can find JRE 1.5 for Mac
2) How I can have this run as the default on my Mac

A bit of background, I have had a developer write an application in Java for me, when running it after a while the terminal just freezes, no errors just stops.

We have been running the application in parallel (he uses Windows) using the same data and he is experiencing no freezes and has suggested I try JRE 1.5 instead of 1.6 I have installed.

Does anybody know if this a known issue by any chance?
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Hi,

I posted this elsewhere but nobody seemed to know.

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

Anybody know:

1) Where I can find JRE 1.5 for Mac
2) How I can have this run as the default on my Mac

A bit of background, I have had a developer write an application in Java for me, when running it after a while the terminal just freezes, no errors just stops.

We have been running the application in parallel (he uses Windows) using the same data and he is experiencing no freezes and has suggested I try JRE 1.5 instead of 1.6 I have installed.

Does anybody know if this a known issue by any chance?
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

That's bad advice. I would not install the older JDK on your machine without knowing why the application freezes. If you got no output at the console it's because the application is not logging any output. The odds are better it's poor coding on the developer's part, not the JDK on your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchucktown View Post
That's bad advice. I would not install the older JDK on your machine without knowing why the application freezes. If you got no output at the console it's because the application is not logging any output. The odds are better it's poor coding on the developer's part, not the JDK on your machine.
We are running the application in parallel on the same live data and he has said he has experienced no freezes, so I would have thought this would rule out any coding errors.

But yes I agree re the installing JRE 1.5, I am not too keen on that.

I have an old windows machine I can try run it on to see if the freeze occurs, will see if its still running.
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

In all my years of writing Java code I can remember many occasions when an application had different runtime behavior on a Windows versus Unix system, even Java applications, and OS X is a Unix system. I can't offer much more advice without understanding the app you are running but I would not install the older JDK. That is not the first step to a solution. Better to profile it or increase the logging to determine where the failure occurs. Freezes usually point to a blocking call that's not returning or a deadlock from poor threading code.

Grant
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Quote:
In all my years of writing Java code I can remember many occasions when an application had different runtime behavior on a Windows versus Unix system, even Java applications, and OS X is a Unix system. I can't offer much more advice without understanding the app you are running but I would not install the older JDK. That is not the first step to a solution. Better to profile it or increase the logging to determine where the failure occurs. Freezes usually point to a blocking call that's not returning or a deadlock from poor threading code.

Grant
OK thanks for the advice, makes sense.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if it's a known issue.
You should be able to set JRE 5 as default by using the Java prefs app, either in System prefs or in Applications/Utilities, or in Applications/Java.
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
I don't know if it's a known issue.
You should be able to set JRE 5 as default by using the Java prefs app, either in System prefs or in Applications/Utilities, or in Applications/Java.

Thanks I will give this a try
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Please don't crosspost or ask your question multiple times in different places.

The Community Guidelines state:

Quote:
Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.
Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Please don't crosspost or ask your question multiple times in different places.

The Community Guidelines state:

Thanks for understanding!
Oops. Ill be honest I didn't read them, but then who does?
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

One thing you might want to try is running the Java Preferences app in Utilities and move 32-bit Java above 64-bit if 64-bit is first and run the app again. I'm honestly not sure how to install 1.5 if you don't have the image from Apple. It's not available on the developer site for 10.6 so the challenge is finding it. You can see what JDKs you actually have by looking in /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines. Chances are you will only find the 1.6 JDK.
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Quote:
One thing you might want to try is running the Java Preferences app in Utilities and move 32-bit Java above 64-bit if 64-bit is first and run the app again. I'm honestly not sure how to install 1.5 if you don't have the image from Apple. It's not available on the developer site for 10.6 so the challenge is finding it. You can see what JDKs you actually have by looking in /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines. Chances are you will only find the 1.6 JDK.
Yes I only have 1.6. I don't see how changing to 1.5 would help anyway so given up on that idea.

OK I moved the 32-bit to the top, running the app overnight and will see how it looks in the morning.

There is also an option to to run applets 'in their own process' or 'within the browser process', default is 'within the browser process'. Could that make a difference?

Spoke to the developer today and he said he run it 15 hours straight without a freeze.

Really appreciate the help btw.
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

Quote:
One thing you might want to try is running the Java Preferences app in Utilities and move 32-bit Java above 64-bit if 64-bit is first and run the app again
What does this do?
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

I don't think you are running an applet. If you are running a long running process that you start from the command-line it's not an applet. If you do run it from inside a browser then it might make a difference running it outside the browser process but that should not be an option for you unless I'm misunderstanding. Try it with the 32-bit VM, that might make a difference. Whether the developer does or does not have a problem is irrelevant. In your runtime environment there is a problem and I still suspect the code.

As for moving 32-bit above 64-bit it means when you run java from the command line OS X will use the 32-bit version. You can also just uncheck the box next to the 64-bit version to temporarily disable it. I doubt it will change the behavior you observe but it's about the only option you have without debugging the code and that's going to require more logging and thread dumps when the process freezes.
QUOTE Thanks
Jim Nasium

OK I'm back, still struggling with this.

Now I am trying to run the solution remotely on this guys server, I am using the below command to try access access it:

Quote:
sh-3.2# java RemoteShellClient 87.120.209.147 50001 "cmd" "java -jar -Dusername=xxxxxxx -Dpassword=xxxxxxxx -DcCodes=all CBetInTime.jar ServiceSF" (the face is a C+:+\)
But getting the below error:

Quote:
Invalid input data
Looks like a syntax error, any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software installation problems / Terminal comprehension issues | PeerGuardian for Mac »