New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

.bash_profile messed up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikewatt

mikewatt is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to delete the .bash_profile I made..I made it and now when I'm in Terminal, none of the default commands are recognized anymore. Is there a way to go back to how it was before, with no .bash_profile?

Here's what I put in:

Code:
pico .bash_profile (this will create a .bash_profile)
- type the following in the new screen: export PATH=$
{PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools
- Hit CNTRL + X
- Hit Y (for yes to save)
- It will return you to the terminal screen… type: exit
Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Follow this to show all hidden files, delete what you need to, execute the command again replacing YES with NO and you should be good to go.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Or: rm .bash_profile
Assuming you're in your home folder.
If you typed that command as it's written you got caught by wordwrap.
it should be:
export PATH=${PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools
where <sdkfolder> is the path to the folder where the SDK is.
QUOTE Thanks
mikewatt

I tried that but my Terminal doesn't accept any commands. Please look at the screenshot I've attached. Sorry, I'm a total newbie to Mac Terminal...
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (20.3 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I posted that last night when I was quite tired (it should still work though). In the meantime, you can execute the commands with the full path. rm is at /bin/rm if you use cradom's method and defaults is at /usr/bin/defaults.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Or you can get TinkerTool and show invisibles to delete it.
Forgot/didn't realize the rm command probably wouldn't work with the path messed up.
QUOTE Thanks
mikewatt

Thanks, the Tinker program worked great. Thanks again.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
ek1414

ek1414 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue with incorrect commands and files not being found. which files did you delete in order to start over creating a new pico .bash_profile?
QUOTE Thanks
Bwoe

Bwoe is on a distinguished road

If you have a second mac handy, and a firewire cable, you can boot to target disk mode and run the command to show hidden files from the second machine. You can then navigate to /.bash_profile (ON THE AFFECTED MACHINE) and trash it.
The syntax for showing hidden files is:
PHP Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE 
then restart finder with:
PHP Code:
killall Finder 

From here you can just go to /.bash_profile (again, on the affected machine) and trash or rename it.

Re-hide hidden files with
PHP Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE 
and kill finder again.

Alternately, from the second mac you could just:
PHP Code:
sudo rm -rf [dragpathtofile
QUOTE Thanks
karl07

karl07 is on a distinguished road

... great for me. was desperate because no command was found any more. just deleted the messed up .bash_profile (something was wrong with PATH in there), and now i can use commands again!

thx!!!

karl07
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« email extractor | xcode C++ library help »