New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Help empowering BSD gcc on iMacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

georgejo

georgejo is on a distinguished road

Looking to install gcc 4.x on a Mac Mini with an INTEL processor running OSX 10.6. I want to actually use the BSD capability of my Mac and it would be nice to do so without being tortured. Eventually, I'm going to want to link in CUDA (so I can use my graphics card for parallel processing)

Please don't respond with "google it"; I've been googling the whole day. If you don't know, keep it to yourself. . If you know and you don't like to share, still keep it to yourself.

I went to the (useless) Mac website and downloaded XTOOLs with 1 GB of total crap only to discover that the only version available is intended for a PowerPc. Sorry but that's painful!!!

Sorry, I'm not really a system admin guy. I'm a s/w developer and to the largest extent possible I like to spend my time writing s/w. I'm trying to do so on 3 Platforms right now.

P.S. I saw a similar thread but it didn't look like it was addressing the INTEL processor and it looked unnecessarily complicated.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Your tone sounds like that of a developer... but shortcomings aside, you probably are looking for MacPorts. You can link up to whatever repos you feel are useful and get whatever binaries you feel you need. Good luck.

The MacPorts Project -- Home

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
georgejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Your tone sounds like that of a developer...
I plead guilty. Our environment at work was "free"; i.e., somebody else cared about it. I liked that. Time is limited and right now, I'm playing in too many Platforms.

(Curse of the new market is everybody and his dog seems to have invented their own programming languages, which means I'm playing in a lot of sandboxes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
shortcomings aside, you probably are looking for MacPorts.
It looks precisely like what I was looking for. .
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Best of luck! The shell on Mac OS is pretty decent, and you can always add others.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejo View Post
I went to the (useless) Mac website and downloaded XTOOLs with 1 GB of total crap only to discover that the only version available is intended for a PowerPc. Sorry but that's painful!!!
Sorry, but I have to doubt that. I logged into the Mac Dev Center and the first Xcode link I saw (right on the front page) was for Xcode 3.2.4. As noted on Wikipedia, "Xcode 3.2 was released with Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard", and won't install on any earlier version of Mac OS X." (source). Since Snow Leopard is Intel-only, that couldn't be a PPC build.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
georgejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Sorry, but I have to doubt that. I logged into the Mac Dev Center and the first Xcode link I saw (right on the front page) was for Xcode 3.2.4. As noted on Wikipedia, "Xcode 3.2 was released with Mac OS X v10.6 "Snow Leopard", and won't install on any earlier version of Mac OS X." (source). Since Snow Leopard is Intel-only, that couldn't be a PPC build.
I'm confused. Nothing on my system configuration mentioned Snow Leopard but Darwin. Also, I thought the version of xcode I installed was 3.2.4. (I've no clue were the logs are from the install. I'm pretty new to the Mac world and I'm not used to doing system admin stuff.)

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.4.0 <--- Snow Leopard isn't mentioned?
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No <--- This means I'm 32 bit?
Time since boot: 25 minutes

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejo View Post
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.4.0 <--- Snow Leopard isn't mentioned?

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No <--- This means I'm 32 bit?
OS X 10.6 = Snow Leopard. See here for more info.

The 64-bit part simply means that you aren't using the 64-bit kernel. You can still run 64-bit applications. Open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and look at the "Kind" column to see all of the apps running as 64-bit apps.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I don't get it. If you install the current version of XCode, you get GCC 4.2.1.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569) <-- is Snow Leopard

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
georgejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569) <-- is Snow Leopard
Hehehe. Thing is it doesn't say snow leopard on it. I did end up reading about snow leopard on wiki yesterday.

I've no clue why some companies make their product naming policies so confusing. An intelligent person would make up their mind. Either label everything "Snow Leopard" or call it by the version number. Why use both and expect people to know. That's just plain evil.

Of course, I think Sun made an uglier mess with Java but that's just me.

Just one of the ways, that is hard to re-tool these days.
QUOTE Thanks
georgejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
OS X 10.6 = Snow Leopard. See here for more info.

The 64-bit part simply means that you aren't using the 64-bit kernel. You can still run 64-bit applications. Open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and look at the "Kind" column to see all of the apps running as 64-bit apps.
Thanks for your help by the way.

Yes, I have gcc 4 by the way and it runs. Thanks!!!

I guess I've got all the iPhone stuff too which I will eventually want as well.

Thanks for clarifying about the Kernel which I guess what "Darwin" refers to.

I assume my physical hardware is 32 bit?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor. Most 64-bit processor based Macs do not boot into the 64-bit kernel and some in fact will not do so. Again, this doesn't mean that you can't run 64-bit applications though.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« using gcc to compile | How to get OpenGL into Xcode »