New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Most efficient way of repeatedly drawing attributed text to view

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

james_hartt

james_hartt is on a distinguished road

Sorry for being a newbie, Please help!

I am creating a fairly simple app that layers on iTunes, using its Apple Events stuff. That side is going well...

My Question is, my app, because it uses the strings of the currently playing Artists and Song Name etc. this could change rapidly in my case (less than every second, updates of the playing track strings can occur this fast) I was wondering what the most efficient way to draw to the strings with font attributes, background and also alignment...? I am looking to save some time too!

I tried passing NSAttributedStrings to TextFields (Set out as Labels in IB); fine for initial uploading of string, but with the constant updating, it obviously does not really enjoy it. I tried just using:

[trackDescriptionLabel setStringValue:description];

For example, but it looses all the formatting from the initial NSAttributedString. Is there anyway to lock these atributes and just change the text that is displayed?

I have tried implementing NSTextView classes also, however they do not seem to offer both, font, background color changes and alignment... I could be wrong! (there are a few deprecated methods and properties for example)

Any reply would be appreciated, I know how first posts can drown!!

Kindest Regards

James Hartt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« torrent client on Mac | Creating callback python functions for PyObjC »