New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Learning objective-c please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brentbyoung

brentbyoung is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm learning objective-c by reading objective-c for dummies.

Currently I'm learning about "struct" and "typedef" and all of a sudden the author started using a new format for variables without an explanation, believe me I looked.

For example:

"variable.variableName"

And I don't understand why there is a period in between the two variable names, and I'm wanting to take my time and understand every little thing about this new language.

So if someone wouldn't mind taking their time to answer this, I'm sure the answer is fairly simple, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill McEnaney

Bill McEnaney is on a distinguished road

I don't know Objective-C. But in "variable.variableName" maybe "variable" is a the name of a structured variable that contains a component called "variableName."

In Pascal, you can define a record type, Pascal's struct, if you will, by writing something like this:

Code:
type Car_Type =
            record
               Make: String;
               Model: String;
               Year: integer
            end;
Then, if, say, My_Car, is a variable of that type, "My_Car.Make" stands for the My_Car record's "Make" component, "My_Car.Model" stands for the My_Car variable's "Model" component, and "My_Car.Year" stands for that variable's "Year" component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentbyoung View Post
Hi,

I'm learning objective-c by reading objective-c for dummies.

Currently I'm learning about "struct" and "typedef" and all of a sudden the author started using a new format for variables without an explanation, believe me I looked.

For example:

"variable.variableName"

And I don't understand why there is a period in between the two variable names, and I'm wanting to take my time and understand every little thing about this new language.

So if someone wouldn't mind taking their time to answer this, I'm sure the answer is fairly simple, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
brentbyoung

brentbyoung is on a distinguished road

thanks, that is helping to make a little sense of things.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill McEnaney

Bill McEnaney is on a distinguished road

You're welcome, brentbyoung. Now that I've read briefly about Objective-C's structured types, I know that my explanation was correct. In your example, "variable.variableName," does stand for the "variableName" component of the structure named "variable." I should have done my homework before I answered your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentbyoung View Post
thanks, that is helping to make a little sense of things.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automating command; extracting files from folders and copying them into a single fold | PackageMaker: Add to PATH? »