New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Starting Out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

biggerstronger

I was thinking about learning how to tinker around with developing, nothing too big, just things that I can point at and say, "I made that". I have Xcode or whatever on my Powerbook, and I was wondering how one would get started in messing around with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Icicle

Icicle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7

Ditto, I just pulled it out and installed it, I am interested too, just for the fun of it, I remember when I was a kid, our first computer was an Apple IIE I think, I remember teaching myself basic on it, I made a picture of a tree and grass and other things kids too, my parents were amazed (I wasnt very old)

now Im all grown up and wanna learn again, anyone help us with our curiosity?
what the heck do these xcode tools enable us to do? how do we start learning?

Kevin, Spokane Washington USA
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

I would suggest getting the Oreilly book "Building Cocoa Applications: A Step by Step Guide"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/buildcocoa/

It is not great but it does not make me want to vomit blood either.

MacDevCenter is also a nice resource:

http://macdevcenter.com/

And finally you have the developer pages at Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Icicle

Mac Specs: MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7

Awesome, thanks for the reply, so you suggest we learn "cocoa" first?

QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Not necessarily, but it is not a bad language if you are looking at Mac develpment in specific. Objective C is an OK language in general but it is not seen much off of Macs (see NextStep). I find it interesting as sort of a step between C and Java.

C# is similar in that matter but not the best language for Mac development at this time.

Java is a bit more cross platform but more useful server side than for client code. Java 1.5 offers some significant improvements client side though (still needs more work).

C and C++ have better performance (C generally better than C++) but are more complicated. I would not suggest coding C or C++ from XCode, use CodeWarrior.

Python is a scripting language but not a bad one to learn the basics of Object Oriented Design in. I am not sure if XCode can edit Python though, I would use SubEthaEdit for that.

For the "really serious" there is Assembler, but that is an advanced topic and it has been almost a decade since I last coded anything even moderately complex in Assembler. Regardless it is not where you want to start.

The more languages you learn the more you realize that they are all basically the same (except Assembler). Each has their unique qualities but once you get past syntax, the discipline and structured thought learned in one carries over to the others.
QUOTE Thanks
Icicle

Wow, thanks for the thought you put into that, reputation given

So it sounds like cocoa or Java are both good choices for starting points.....

Im kinda excited in a nerdy sorta way

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i always overlook this forum and yet here i am finding what i wanted to know about programming.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting launchd working | Unix Reference Guide »