New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

webserver & ftpserver

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oo_mac_oo

I have setup apache server, php, mysql.. How use webmin to setup my ftp server ?
I just register my domain name. How to put my index.html to my websever and make in run ??
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Are you using a personal computer as your host?

If so, I have noooo clue.

I just set up my site but I used other hosting.

How fast is your connection?

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

You should really buy hosting instead of trying to serve up your domain from your own computer, it makes everything a lot easier, and is very inexpensive.

However, there are some good tutorials at devshed for that kind of stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

You should check out http://korksoft.com that's where I'm hosted and it's pretty awesome. Right now they're having Double Days (ends soon) where you get double the bandwidth, double the space and double something else, but anyways, it's pretty cheap, I'm paying $10 a month for 30gb of bandwidth

Good Luck,

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
oo_mac_oo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKaD
You should check out http://korksoft.com that's where I'm hosted and it's pretty awesome. Right now they're having Double Days (ends soon) where you get double the bandwidth, double the space and double something else, but anyways, it's pretty cheap, I'm paying $10 a month for 30gb of bandwidth

Good Luck,

sKaD

I'm can't afford for long term use own computer to setup is good for long term
more space I can get for my FTP & webserver
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

But do you have a dedicated IP? And you'll need to set up your nameserver also.. you have to have a dedicated IP address through whoever you are using to connect to the net..
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

Also, I think out of about 90% of ISP's (maybe more) it's against their TOS to use your connection as a dedicated host.

So if you plan on having a lot of visitors.. be weary.

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
oo_mac_oo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
But do you have a dedicated IP? And you'll need to set up your nameserver also.. you have to have a dedicated IP address through whoever you are using to connect to the net..
I have nameserver & IP address then how to do it :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

I don't know where you're supposed to keep the index.html file on your computer for it to show up to the world.

But go to the site you registered your domain name to and enter your nameserver there. it can take up to 72hrs for it to work.

I'm not exactly sure how it all works. Check out Devshed like someone else posted.

Good Luck,

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Usually your webroot on a default install of apache is located at /usr/local/apache/htdocs. That is where you would put your webpages.

Most domain registrars allow you to store and manipulate your domain record from their control panel. So if you have a static IP, you should be able to create an A record at your registrar that points to your IP address, and then your domain should resolve to your server. You really don't need nameservers for a simple one domain setup.

Other than that, which is general information, I would need specifics in order to help you out further. But that is a simple way to do what you are asking. I have used this method a bunch of times, and it works pretty good.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

excellent.. I hadnt done it that way before.. usually just having my own server and then using the host nameserver, but I havent gone through an ISP.. so that's good to know! Cheers Emrys
QUOTE Thanks
oo_mac_oo

I have download wu-ftpd-current.tar.gz file. can anyone here help me to step by step install wu-ftp & setup, Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« unablle to download the tar file | apache server (httpd.conf error) »