Thread: defragmentation

defragmentation
    hello,
    i am developing an application which can provide the deframentation of harddrive in mac os x. then tell me is there any terminal command to do the same.

plz help me out

regards
    abhinay chauhan
    s/w engg

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I would spend your time on something more useful....

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

defragmentation
    hello,
    i am developing an application which can provide the defragmentation feature for mac os x (just like window ) to speed up our system. which can defrag our fragmented files and arrange all the free space at the end of the partition.
    tell me how can i do so?
    tell me is there any terminal command to do the same?

please help me out .............

regards
    Abhinay chauhan
    s/w engg

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Merged duplicate threads. Please do not cross-post.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinay View Post
    hello,
    i am developing an application which can provide the defragmentation feature for mac os x (just like window ) to speed up our system. which can defrag our fragmented files and arrange all the free space at the end of the partition.
    tell me how can i do so?

regards
    Abhinay chauhan
    s/w engg
    Read up on journal file systems
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

defragmentation
    hello,
    sory, i didn't get ur ans . tell me how can i defragment our hard disk partion and my query is----

tell me how can i do so?

Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
    You don't need to defragment your hard disk with Mac OS X. The file system handles this automatically.

defragmentation
    file system only defrag the file which is under 20 MB size.
    but i want to defrag the files above then this size.
    if file system hands it then tell me which exec the file system run to do the same .

and tell me the path , how can i defrag our hard disk in mac os x?????????

thanks
    abhinay chauhan

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    One more time - you don't need to - OS X handles this quite well on it's own.

Just checked my system last night, been running it for almost 2 years now without defragging or a fresh install. It was 0.6% fragmented. And I install, remove and modify tons of files on an ongoing basis.

Unless you're hitting the point of less than 25% free space, a defrag is typically not going to help with OS X. If you are hitting that percentage, I suggest freeing up some space. If you're insistent that you want to defrag, you can grab the app iDefrag.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    One more time - you don't need to - OS X handles this quite well on it's own.

Just checked my system last night, been running it for almost 2 years now without defragging or a fresh install. It was 0.6% fragmented. And I install, remove and modify tons of files on an ongoing basis.

Unless you're hitting the point of less than 25% free space, a defrag is typically not going to help with OS X. If you are hitting that percentage, I suggest freeing up some space. If you're insistent that you want to defrag, you can grab the app iDefrag.
    Where are you finding the information on fragmentation?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Assume you're referring to my current fragmented percentage. I downloaded the iDefrag demo.

With the amount of data in and out on my personal machines, Windows was always hitting 20% fragmented in about a month of regular use although I had it set up to auto defrag once a week when it was already hitting 10% or better. After 2 1/2 yrs with OS X, I still have this habit of checking to see if I need to defrag or not once every 3-4 months, and so far the percentages have been so insignificant as to not make the purchase of iDefrag even remotely advantageous to me. If you're running a nearly full drive it could be different for you.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information