New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

X fails to build on Darwin

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

prushik

prushik is on a distinguished road

freetype version 1 doesn't recognize my Darwin, it asks me to specify my host. So I say ./configure --host=i386-apple-darwin8.0.1 and it says darwin unrecognized. So I just say i386-apple and it thinks I'm using a mac, but configures, however, the build fails. Version 2 recognizes my operating system, but still fails to compile.
QUOTE Thanks
prushik

I haven't found much yet, however, I did find a macports bug report stating that freetype requires a newer gnu make to compile:
#18107 (freetype 2.3.8 fails on 10.3.9) – MacPorts

I don't know which gnu make I have, and to me it seems unlikely, but I'll give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prushik View Post
I don't know which gnu make I have, and to me it seems unlikely, but I'll give it a shot.
Execute "make -version" - that should give you the version number.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
prushik

I can't right now (I'm working), I plan to though. But I came across a mail archive: Re: Several Darwin quartz objects not being built when using GNU make-3.
Haven't really read it because I'm supposed to be writing an automated testing application, but I did quickly glance at it, looks like the make that comes with Darwin is a special apple modified make that has addition obj-c rules which cause some things to fail, including quartz. So I think with the proper make, XFree86 may build correctly. Seems a shame to do that though, go back to the beginning now that I've put all this work into it. So I'll install gnu make and continue building X11R7, then fall back to XFree86 if that fails.
QUOTE Thanks
prushik

Well it still fails. The built in make is version 3.80-apple if I remember correctly.
I've got one more thing to try: #1653 (freetype 2.1.7 failes to build on Darwin 7.0.0) – MacPorts
It describes the error I have been getting and gives a patch to fix it. I won't go through the trouble of downloading the patch though, I'll just edit the configure script manually, its just a single line change.
QUOTE Thanks
prushik

I got freetype to build, libxfont had another dep, fontconfig, which had another dep, libxml2. I installed both of those successfully, but libxfont fails to build. In a fit or rage I reformated in ufs, ufs fails to boot, so I went back to hfs+. So now I'm back at square one, but I have some experience now, so I'm a little better off. I have some ideas I can try out, im running Darwin in qemu so I can mess with it while I'm running linux at work. I've been looking at the GNU/Darwin project, and while I'm not interesting in running GNU/Darwin, they provide source for the packages installed on GNU/Darwin, including X11. So I'll try to install that. Also, according to wikipedia, portage has been ported to Darwin. I really like portage, so I'm going to look into that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mbtowc and extended/high ASCII | Issue with GAMS conopt libraries »