New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Applescript - Firefox

Thread Closed

Floris

Floris is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Can anybody tell me how to use applescript to put the current URL of firefox into a variable (something like set a to URL, but that doesn't seem to work)

Basically, what I wanted to try, was making a program that would track how long I'd spent on each site I'd visit, but if I applescript doesn't know what URL I am on it doesn't know when to start and stop tracking the time.

So could anybody help me ?

-Floris

Edit: I just figured I can get the name of the front window, which is allmost just as good, best would be getting the url though.
Floris

Okay, I still need to find out how to extract the Url, I figured some other things out myself.

Some other thing I was puzzling with was replacing words in a text, but I figured out what Iwas doing wrong.
The whole thing I did wrongly was using the TELL command. Kind of confusing how you need to tell some things to the document, while some things need to be told to the text of the document.
Floris

Okay so basically this forum is really crappy or am I mistaken?
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris View Post
Okay so basically this forum is really crappy or am I mistaken?
Patience. You need a very specific answer on Applescript, which not everyone is an expert with. Give it time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
Floris

Nah, the point is all the spam

Only the Url is still needed. Some intense googling helped me with alot of things. I think there should be some better Applescript tutorials though, most of them I tried went way too slow. If you mastered BASIC, you still need to learn some essential thing about applescript, which I figured out by googling and lots of trial and error....

And there are looooaaaads of people asking questions on the internet, getting answers which to me where really vague, while later on I found ways to do it all way more easy...
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Spam would that be? No spam lasts more than a few minutes here.
Floris

Yeah thats right maybe I am judging to fast, sorry. Anyways, I'll just post the thing I made in case anybody cares, it took me hours googling and stuff to figure all the things out needed to make this, I still don't know how to get an url but I like my program so far (altough I don't think I will ever use it, but it's cool that it works nontheless).
Quote:
set b to 1
set a to 0
tell application "TextEdit"
activate
end tell
tell application "Firefox"
set c to name of front window
set c to (every word of c) as string
set d to c
end tell
repeat while b = 1
delay 1
set a to a + 1
set yu to name of the front window
if yu is not "" then
set d to (every word of yu) as string
end if
end tell
if c is not d then
tell application "TextEdit"
if the text of the front document contains c then
tell the text of the front document
set ui to the first paragraph where it contains c
delete (the first paragraph where it contains c)
set a to (a + (word 2 of ui as integer))
end tell
end if
set h to the text of the front document
set the text of the front document to h & c & " " & a & "
"
set a to 0
end tell
end if
set yu to name of the front window
if yu is not "" then
set c to (every word of yu) as string