New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Problems with terminal SSH compiling.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monolith

monolith is on a distinguished road

I have a CS 161 assignment due tomorrow and I am using terminal to log into SSH on my Mac IBook G4. I have written the program but when getting to the end and typing control O to write the program, it is not letting me exit once there. I tried typing g++ prog1.cpp to compile and it does nothing. The program itself is very simple and I have looked it over for mistakes and can find none. I am using nano. I tried using pico but I received an error message. Can anyone help with this? Below is what I have typed for my program. Thanks!

//Header file
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

//Named constants
const int HALFDOLLAR = 50;
const int QUARTER = 25;
const int DIME = 10;
const int NICKEL = 5;

int main()
{
//Declare variable
int change;

//Statements: Step 1- Step 12
cout << "Enter change in cents: "; // Step 1
cin >> change; // Step 2
cout << endl;

cout << "The change you entered is " << change
<< endl; // Step 3

cout << "The number of half-dollars to be returned "
<< " is " << change / HALFDOLLAR
<< endl; // Step 4

change = change % HALFDOLLAR; // Step 5

cout << "The number of quarters to be returned is "
<< change / QUARTER << endl; // Step 6

change = change % QUARTER; // Step 7

cout << "The number of dimes to be returned is "
<< change / DIME << endl; // Step 8

change = change % DIME; // Step 9

cout << "The number of nickels to be returned is "
<< change / NICKEL << endl; // Step 10

change = change % NICKEL; // Step 11

cout << "The number of pennies to be returned is "
<< change << endl; // Step 12

0;
}
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Is nano not letting you exit? After doing the control-o are you typing control-x?
Or are you having problems with the compile in the shell?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

nano is a pico clone (but it is installed by default in os x), pico's only going to be installed (usually) if you've installed pine as a mail reader. While I don't use either much (I prefer vi), when I do I use ctrl-x to exit and save it when prompted to.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
monolith

monolith is on a distinguished road

Yes, after pushing control-x, it will not let me exit. As well, When prompting it to compile, by typing: g++ prog1.cpp it will not compile.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

is there an error that you get when you try to exit and compile?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

When you do a control-x do you get a shell prompt? Or are you still in nano?
Dumb question, you DO have xcode installed on your ibook right?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would use the vi editor, since it comes with every favor of Unix operating system.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I would use the vi editor, since it comes with every favor of Unix operating system.
I agree, but then we run into having a very non-user friendly text editor.. and I use vi daily and love it.. but people who don't know it using it (especially in /etc) scares the bejesus outa me

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Open files with my new Application | Taking up Cocoa »