New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Warning :suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

roublesaha

roublesaha is on a distinguished road

Hi
I am using this snippet of code

void * handle_;

if (handle_ =dlopen("/System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.Framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration",RTLD_NOW))
{
printf("............");

}
else if (handle_ =dlopen("/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskArbitration.Framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration",RTLD_NOW))
{
printf(".................");
}

But i am getting the warning :
"suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value" for the first line i,e the for the "for" loop....can somebody help me to get rid of this warning..

******Rouble******
QUOTE Thanks
mystic_fm

mystic_fm will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

Two ways to handle this:

1) Change the line(s) to make the assignment result's participation in a boolean expression explicit, i.e. "if ((bool)(handle_ = dlopen()) == true)". Actually just the extra pair of parens would suppress the warning, but that would be ugly code in my opinion ... it's better to demonstrate that you are deliberately making an assignment and then comparing the result to a boolean value.

2) If you prefer the original, more terse version of the code, you can go into the Build options on the target executable, search for "parentheses" under GCC Warnings, and unselect that checkbox for all configurations. (This is for Xcode 3.1.1, but I assume that earlier versions probably had a similar build option.)
QUOTE Thanks
SpaceTeaBoo

SpaceTeaBoo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: SpaceTeaBoo

Hi

I need some help. Is here anybody who studies at Medic school or a college or may be university. May be somebody knows some sites of medic school material
I need some texts about health care, different catigories ex mental health, women health and other. I should make my study soon. Please help me to find some info. And it should be information that google cant find, cos my teacher kill me for that.

Thanks for help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Input/Output Streams (sockets) | how to add url in iCal »