New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

terminal fonts in mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

diffuser78

diffuser78 is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of switching from Ubuntu Linux to Mac OS X.

For coding I used terminal or xterm(black) in Ubuntu and I loved the fonts in the terminal. My eyes are so used to those fonts out there that I find it so hard to work in "terminal" of mac which doesn't have those fonts.

Did you guys have the same issue ever ?

Can you share what terminal font and color scheme is popular in OS X.

Every answer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Daniel
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You can use any font you want in Terminal, if it's installed. Just don't disable Monaco. Terminal won't work without it.
Find a font you like that's truetype and install it. Personally, I just use Monaco.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

On any platform, you should stick to the fixed-width, or monospaced, fonts in the Terminal. Examples would be Monaco, Courier, and Lucida Console. Terminals require consistent letter width, and the Apple terminal will have to pad out variable-width fonts if you try to use them.

If you really miss a particular font from your old system, just copy it over and use that.
QUOTE Thanks
ninjaslim

ninjaslim is on a distinguished road

If you have custom fonts in .fonts and configured in .Xdefaults, then you'll need to use xterm. I don't use Terminal in Mac OS X anyway. I generally need X running, so I fire up X11.app and use xterm.

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
MacBook Pro (Darwin 9), iMac (Darwin 9), iPod Touch (Darwin 9), Dell Optiplex GX620 (FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« boost member function problem | Question about Input/Output Streams (sockets) »