New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

installing 'ack' and terminal help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeminkie

joeminkie is on a distinguished road

hey, i'm trying to install ack: http://petdance.com/ack/ but the instructions on the site aren't working:

Code:
curl http://ack.googlecode.com/svn/tags/latest/ack-standalone > ~/bin/ack && chmod 0755 !$
at work yesterday i asked a linux guy for help to install it on my work machine, but i'm not totally sure how he did it and i can't recreate what he did at home now. i get the gist of what is supposed to be happening but no matter what directory i put as the target path it says either "No such file or directory" or "Permission denied." i've tried /bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin, and created a directory /usr/local/ack but it still won't DL. i'm sure i'm missing something simple about terminal/unix but i've been trying to figure this out for hours over the past few nights and google is no help. i have tried prefacing the commands with sudo as well but still get the same responses. i appreciate any help, even if it's a pointer to material to read.
thanks,
joe
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

what returns when you do a which curl?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
joeminkie

/usr/bin/curl
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Ok, so if you're issuing...

curl http://ack.googlecode.com/svn/tags/l...ack-standalone > ~/bin/ack && chmod 0755 !$

do you have a ~/bin/ack directory? If you do, do you have write permissions?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
joeminkie

i didn't, i thought the command would make one. so after it didn't work i tried making the ack directory (with mkdir) and i could cd to it, but still got Permission Denied. I did get the ack file to DL to my user directory (as in ~/ not ~/usr/) but i figured that's not where its supposed to go...? If i have that file and i can see my hidden files can i just drag it into the ack directory i made and authenticate with my password? If that works can i chmod that file or directory?

Thanks for any help, I would really like to learn more about terminal commands. It seems like it opens a whole new playground on the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

curl does nothing more than a get on an http address. So once the file is on your system you can move it around, etc. Personally, I'd put it in /usr/bin/
then chmod it to 755, that way it's in the path

mike
QUOTE Thanks
joeminkie

awesome, thanks. i used the GUI to drag the ack file into /usr/bin then used terminal to chmod it to 0755 and now it works. i appreciate the help.

i guess i wanted to do it through terminal to learn how it works (instead of "cheating" by using the GUI like i'm used to). i'll continue reading up online about it.
later,
joe
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

in terminal you could have done a

mv filename /usr/bin && chmod 755 /user/bin/filename

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS-DOS batch file equivelent on OSX | iMac G5 fan control »