New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

cant restart mysql

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timgolding

timgolding is on a distinguished road

Hi I am trying to start mysql on my server and its not starting gives me the following error message

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/private/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (38)

I have checked etc/my.cnf and it has

socket = /private/var/mysql/mysql.sock

i have checked php.ini.default and php.ini and they have

mysql.default_socket = /private/var/mysql/mysql.sock

I type locate mysql.sock
and it gives

/private/var/mysql/mysql.sock

any ideas what on earth is going on here?
i don't understand what is going on
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

what happens when you issue..

mysql_config --socket

?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
timgolding

if i type mysql_config --socket i get

/var/mysql/mysql.sock
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Try changing the my.cnf to point to that as your socket

mike
QUOTE Thanks
timgolding

I tried that it just gives

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
QUOTE Thanks
timgolding

I solved it the disk was full lol i had to remove a 29GB log file and reboot the server and hey presto mysql restarted. The lesson to be learnt is before you start playing around with config files check your hard disk space.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

yea, I've done that more than once.. a df would have saved me some time in the past

mike
QUOTE Thanks
joburke10

joburke10 is on a distinguished road

Can someone tell me which mysql files I can remove in order to start mysql. I removed the two log files but I still can't restart mysql.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stringWithFormat or initWithFormat ? | Programming in C »