New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

Any MySQL users (gurus) out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mgm_03

I'm looking for people who can help me get MySQL working.

details...usingJaguar. Downloaded and installed MySQL 4.0.1 from MySQL (per the instructions on www.entropy.ch. ).

...btw, I've done the removal and install about 3 times now....

When I cd to /usr/local/mysql and sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe & I get:

[1] 1802
[Marks-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% touch: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
chown: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Users/mark/mysql/data
./bin/mysqld_safe: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
./bin/mysqld_safe: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
tee: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
030813 15:14:07 mysqld ended
tee: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
-------------------------
Unfortunately, I am unable to access the /data directory because I get "Permission denied". So, I can't check the .err log file.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
dmonk

It looks like we are experiencing similar problems, but you're actually getting further than I am.

so far this is as far as I get:

[D-Ms-Computer:~] daniel% su root
Password:
[D-Ms-Computer:/Users/daniel] daniel# cd/usr/local/mysql
cd/usr/local/mysql: Command not found.
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk
It looks like we are experiencing similar problems, but you're actually getting further than I am.

so far this is as far as I get:

[D-Ms-Computer:~] daniel% su root
Password:
[D-Ms-Computer:/Users/daniel] daniel# cd/usr/local/mysql
cd/usr/local/mysql: Command not found.
try a space between cd and /usr.
cd /usr/local/mysql

that may help, but i do not know, i dont really use mysql on my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
dmonk

Thanks hokiethang,
that did it.

(on to the next task)
-dmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
try a space between cd and /usr.
cd /usr/local/mysql

that may help, but i do not know, i dont really use mysql on my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

OK, I spent hours and hours trying to get mySQL working. After getting confused by conflicting instructions by many different websites, these are the instructions I use to start up mysql and log in:

shell> cd /usr/local/mysql
shell> sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
(Enter your password, if necessary)
(Press Control-Z)
shell> bg
(Press Control-D or enter "exit" to exit the shell)

shell> alias mysql /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
shell> alias mysqladmin /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin
shell> mysql -h localhost -u root -p

As you can probably guess, that also creates aliases to mysql and mysqladmin so you can access them directly from your own user's directory.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
Bo Eddy

otherwise log in as root, as opposed to regular user, and configure from there for you to do this youll have to enable 'other' as a login option under net info manager in your utilities folder, unlock (bottom left corner), type in the password (as long as youre the admin) then choose <domain<security<enable root user. then log off then relog in as 'root' with the admin passsword. I used this to istall mysql etc. It was much easier ' <<<note:: if your cpu is used by alot of people or youre worried about security then after youre done, disable the root accoutn so noone can access it>>>

Bo Eddy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX Development Platform | Terminal nbizm 3 for the price of 1 »