New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Development and Darwin Discussion and questions about development for Mac OS X.

X server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wiz561

Hi!

I'm new to the mac os and I know that this is probably a really simple answer, but it's really bugging me now since I've been trying to fix it for two days!

OK, I have a mac os 10.3.6. My whole goal is to open a terminal session (not go into apps/utils/x11), but a terminal session. Then I was to run X apps from within the terminal session. A great example is ssh'ing over to another machine and running a X interface from the machine I ssh'ed into on my mac.

However, for now, I thought I would start simple and start local. I have installed xcode_tools from the apple web site, and it looks like it installed the X components because I can start the X11 program from apps/utils/x11. From within the X11 terminal, I can start xclock with no problems and it works just fine. However, when I open the terminal and run it from there, I get...

$ xclock
Error: Can't open display: :0.0
$

It's really frustrating because I've read numerous FAQ's on how to fix this but really nothing works for me! I believe I'm running bash (the terminal window goes "text - bash". One faq said to add this to your rc file. I plopped it in /etc/bashrc

---
# do display thing to open X
if [ ${#DISPLAY} -eq 0 ]; then
export DISPLAY=':0.0'
fi
---

However, this does not work. I also tried to "export display" and a bunch of different commands from :0.0 to the ip.0, but again, none of this works.

Since nothing works in the terminal and everything works in the x11 session terminal, am I doing something wrong? Oh, also, if I have the X11 program running and then execute xclock from the terminal (not the x11 terminal but the bash one), it works fine. Is this just how it works?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There is two things you need to do. First on your system you need to give permission for another system to display anything on your screen. issue the command xhost + will allow any other system to display any thing on your swcreen. You can limit access by using xhost ip address. Next you issue the command set DISPLAY ip address:0. I am not sure of the syntax in the bash shell.

So the order is a follows:

On your system issue either xhost + or xhost ip address of other system
log on to other system
on other system set the DISPLAY variable to your system (.i.e DISPLAY=your ip address:0)

I tend to work with c-shell and korn shell most of the time.

Just a side note DISPLAY=0.0 means the display is set to your local system.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing the login message in Darwin | Linux Games »