New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iTunes how to pop up now playing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheInvsbleMan

TheInvsbleMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB

Ok so I use iTunes to play my music and I am using Quicksilver triggers to control it even when it is not in focus. I am wondering if there is anyway to have Quicksilver, or Growl or any program really to show me a little popup of the song now playing when it first comes on.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Right click its icon in the Dock. It'll pop up a menu with which you can control it, and it will tell you what's playing.
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

thanks for the answer. I know I can do that but I'm looking for something more like this

but just in general on top of any application not just WoW
QUOTE Thanks
sidewinder

sidewinder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

You Control Tunes has a feature that displays the current song for about 10 seconds wherever you want on the screen. Plus it's free.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post
Ok so I use iTunes to play my music and I am using Quicksilver triggers to control it even when it is not in focus. I am wondering if there is anyway to have Quicksilver, or Growl or any program really to show me a little popup of the song now playing when it first comes on.
Quicksilver and Growl play together swimmingly, and you can make them work together to display current track information on screen whenever the song changes. You've gotta configure both QS and Growl to do it, but I promise it's not daunting at all. Here's how:

Note first that you have to have the iTunes Module and the Growl Notifier Module loaded into Quicksilver, via its plugins list.

In Quicksilver's own preferences (invoke QS and press cmd-,), you'll want to go to Preferences > iTunes and make sure the "Monitor Recent Tracks" and "Display Track Notifications" checkboxes are active.

In your Growl preference pane, Quicksilver's Growl options include the ability to display the current playing track. You can find this option at System Preferences > Growl > Applications > Quicksilver > Configure > Notification: iTunes Notifcation. Play around with that to determine how the notifications will look.

Growl also has its own little extension called GrowlTunes which basically does the same thing, but on my setup I figured that since I use QS triggers to control playback, I might as well use QS to monitor the track information itself.

Hope this helps! I know it sounds confusing, but if you're already reasonably comfortable with QS, you should be able to find your way around the more thorny bits.
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

Thanks I decided to go the growltunes route. it is exactly what I needed
QUOTE Thanks
mrt111590

mrt111590 is on a distinguished road

I've also been looking for a good way to display itunes notifications and this seems to finally be a good way of doing it but for some reason growl doesn't display quicksilver in its' applications list. Does anyone have an idea why?
QUOTE Thanks
redfuzz

redfuzz is on a distinguished road

Once I turned this on as described above:

"In Quicksilver's own preferences (invoke QS and press cmd-,), you'll want to go to Preferences > iTunes and make sure the "Monitor Recent Tracks" and "Display Track Notifications" checkboxes are active."

Now I find that Quicksilver automatically pops up to show the current song when a new song starts.
Also activating Quicksilver and entering "Show Playing Track" displays it as well.

thanks for the tip joshbrez
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Anyone having a problem with QS preferences ????? I click on it and the preference window pop's up, but it is completely blank .... Any suggestions.
Uninstall and reinstall ???

Cheers

Edit : Doing a lil more searching i found OmniGrowl and you can download it HERE .....

OmniGrowl aims to provide many practical notifications through Growl in a single application.
OmniGrowl is also an expandable framework for sending Growl notifications for applications that do not natively support Growl.

Nofications for upcoming iCal events, To-Dos, Birthdays, etc
Notificatons for Address Book Birthdays
Notificatons of iTunes track changes
News

Version 3.7: Whats new ........
Added option to check internet for iTunes artwork.
Above works even when not showing "full notifications" so it doesn't choke iTunes.
Added new iTunes script addition to add downloaded art to the current album in iTunes. This makes OmniGrowl a decent artwork finder in its own right.
Added new iTunes script plugin that can be triggered by iTunes track

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« final cut 6 hangs at loading FCS engine | Printing on iCal. random times. »