New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I set up Mail to sync with my Hotmail account?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

puggle_205

puggle_205 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up Mail on my iMac and iPhone to use my Hotmail account, but I don't know where to get all the information it wants. I also don't know if its IMAP or POP.

Can someone guide me through setting it up, as having it working on my iPhone would be great.

Thanks,
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggle_205 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up Mail on my iMac and iPhone to use my Hotmail account, but I don't know where to get all the information it wants. I also don't know if its IMAP or POP.

Can someone guide me through setting it up, as having it working on my iPhone would be great.

Thanks,
Paul
Hotmail's rather archaic so you have to use POP. Set up your Incoming Mail Server as pop3.live.com and your username as your full email address. Your outgoing server is smtp.live.com and you want to use SSL (this should setup your outgoing port as 25). Furthermore, you want to use Password authentication for your outgoing mail, with username as previously described and your password as whatever your password is. I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
puggle_205

puggle_205 is on a distinguished road

Thanks,

I've got the account set up, but it keeps rejecting my password when I try to receive mail. Any ideas? And yes, I have got my password correct!

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
thewrathofme

thewrathofme is on a distinguished road

thanks! i needed that too
QUOTE Thanks
thewrathofme

thewrathofme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggle_205 View Post
Thanks,

I've got the account set up, but it keeps rejecting my password when I try to receive mail. Any ideas? And yes, I have got my password correct!

Paul
I am actually having the exact same problem. If you find out what to do please say so! thanks
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

You have to pay for pop access for hotmail. Your best bet would be to forward your mail to a gmail account and than use that with mail. And eventually give up hotmail, its old and gmail is free with more features.

QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

yep...POP account for hotmail is only for premium members...so unless you want to shell out the money stick to gmail...or whatever other free service you can get that allows POP access

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
hem.acharya

hem.acharya is on a distinguished road

Both Hotmail and Yahoo mail charge for POP and IMAP ( which is needed for mails to be downloaded to any mail clients like Apple mail , mozilla thunderbird ) . Google mail ( Gmail ) gives such services free.
QUOTE Thanks
Howlin' Joe

Howlin' Joe is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I found this page and it seems to work for me

How to Access Free Windows Live Hotmail with Mac OS X Mail Using MacFreePOPs - About Email

take care,

Howlin' Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Howlin' Joe

Howlin' Joe is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Forget that link this one actually works

Hotmail Free POP3 and SMTP Access and Server Configuration Settings My Digital Life
QUOTE Thanks
zylidan

zylidan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, G5

tried the info from the links but get message on mail that says 'password rejected by pop3.live etc'. any one else had this?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylidan View Post
tried the info from the links but get message on mail that says 'password rejected by pop3.live etc'. any one else had this?
Nice job resurrecting a 13 month old thread.

Did you do this?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Nice job resurrecting a 13 month old thread.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's relevant.

It also proves they at least tried searching for an answer first before just posting unlike 99% of new people.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's relevant.

It also proves they at least tried searching for an answer first before just posting unlike 99% of new people.
Fully agree. It was a sincere "nice job".
Things don't always come across properly when typed.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes track names in file name (no tags) | Broadcasting Application For DJing ONLINE »