New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

New iMac Question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brandonkaplan

brandonkaplan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 72" imac , custom made with an apple made of ivory.

Hey guys,

Knowing very little about mac's I recently bought the 24" imac. To a certain extent i feel like apple gives you a very basic piece of equipment for the amount of $ i spent. Office is approx. 500$?? Gimme a break. If i want Final Cut, Final Draft, Office and a few other programs, how much money am i going to need to spend on software? Can't i get these off torent sites?
Why the SAM HILL MICHIGAN don't they give you a program like office and sell garage band, photo booth and these other useless applications seperately? im enraged and am seriously considering returning this thing.
With tax i spent $2,200, if i have to spend another k on software im taking a dump in the apple store.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Um... you spent all that $ before knowing what you were spending it on?
No other OS maker gives big apps for free.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Um... you spent all that $ before knowing what you were spending it on?
No other OS maker gives big apps for free.
I guess one should never assume anything but i thought that i would at least get a program where i could write documents. Not a computer full of games for kids. I'm sure the computer is amazing once you buy the programs you like but then drop the price tag on the thing.
It's like saying "here's your lamborghini for 250k, it has an engine but the seats, steering wheel, gas pedal, guages and everything else is extra."
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonkaplan View Post
Hey guys,

Knowing very little about mac's I recently bought the 24" imac. To a certain extent i feel like apple gives you a very basic piece of equipment for the amount of $ i spent. Office is approx. 500$?? Gimme a break. If i want Final Cut, Final Draft, Office and a few other programs, how much money am i going to need to spend on software? Can't i get these off torent sites?
Why the f*ck don't they give you a program like office and sell garage band, photo booth and these other useless applications seperately? im enraged and am seriously considering returning this thing.
With tax i spent $2,200, if i have to spend another k on software im taking a dump in the apple store.

Have you forgotten that you received the following free and with your purchase???

iMovie
iPhoto
iDVD
GarageBand
iTunes
Bootcamp
etc.

Not to mention the absolute plethora of high quality opensource/freeware apps available to Mac users. Check out the FREE alternative to MS office... OpenOffice or NeoOffice... also check out iWork... $79 direct from Apple.. cheaper elsewhere.

Textedit.. is a word processor... VERY basic though.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

if you want to save some bucks get the student copy of MS office for mac. you can find it for 130-150. it comes with 3 licenses. The other option is iwork. It is an apple program that is the equivalent of MS office. It will set you back around 80 bucks.

Although i have both, there is no need to have both
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

To be honest with you i had no clue that i got all these things. I got the mac because i knew that it was a computer that would compliment my creative side. What free apps are you talking about?
do they offer a crash course on macs because i am literally the biggest noob.
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

Also, a few friends who have macs were saying that you can download a ton of these expensive programs from torrent sites? is this legit or will i end up with a virus on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

Apple don't have to GIVE you anything, saying that however they do.......they GIVE you the iLife suite, the best suite of its kind. They GIVE you OS 10.5, the most stable, user friendly & secure OS on the market & they GIVE you a life without windows which is worth more than any money you could spend.

That said if its not for you, you just need to return it & spend the money on something that is.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

It comes with TextEdit at least, which can read/write word docs.

Look in the folder /Applications/ for apps that you can use. If you see some you don't know, look it up in google or post here "what does XYZ.app do?". We'll help you out.
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruki View Post
Apple don't have to GIVE you anything, saying that however they do.......they GIVE you the iLife suite, the best suite of its kind. They GIVE you OS 10.5, the most stable, user friendly & secure OS on the market & they GIVE you a life without windows which is worth more than any money you could spend.

That said if its not for you, you just need to return it & spend the money on something that is.

What the PRANCING PINK PONIES is ilife suite? I've been browsing around my mac and have found garageband, photobooth, imovie, idvd and all that stuff but no ilife suite.
don't get me wrong, i like the computer alot i was just stunned when i realized how much more $ it would cost to get a couple of programs that i like.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

What kind of functionality are you looking for? What do you want to be able to do with your computer?
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
What kind of functionality are you looking for? What do you want to be able to do with your computer?
Ideally i'd like to be able to write some screenplays (i hear Final Draft is good), edit a few movies, make some music and play around with sone graphic design. How much of this can i teach myself?
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

Also, what is this i hear about a program that allows you to run windows on your mac??
QUOTE Thanks
brandonkaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruki View Post

In your opinion why is OS so superior to windows?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Parallels and VMware allow you to run Windows WITHIN the Mac Operating System.

Bootcamp helps you through the process of partitioning your Hard Drive and running Windows natively on a separate partition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro, and few other apps won't launch | ASCII art software »