New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Lost mail in Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

Hi, all. I've been having a nightmare with mail recently. I've managed to pretty much fix it all, but I've just lost some messages. I've got two macs, one an old G3 running OS X and one a G5 pre intel.
I've opened up mail only twice on the G3 and both times it downloads all the messages, then loses them, and back on my G5, i've lost the same messages. It appears that they disappear up in smoke. Where are they? They were stored on my G5, not on the server, so how can they sync up and I lose them. although the G5 syncs automatically with .Mac. The G3 is manual, to avoid any conflicts. Can anyone help? I can't believe they've just been deleted like that.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

First, have you tried the Rebuild command? (under Mailbox menu)

To see if the messages are still there, go to homefolder~Library/Mail/your Account/(inbox, sent, etc..)/messages

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Thanks for the response.
Ok, i got my sent messages back, but there are still some in the Library/Mail/your Account/(inbox, sent, etc..)/messages folder that i aren't visible in Mail. How can I get them back? Clicking on them opens them, but they stay in the folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Either:
1. Rebuild each folder in the Mail app. (i.e. select Inbox, then Rebuild)
2.You can use the Import command and select the messages.
3. Create a new folder in Mail (or use Drafts, etc..) and manually move the messages to the new folder, then use the Rebuild command.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Hi all, yes another problem with Mac Mail, lost email thread! I just upgraded to Leopard this week and it's been a bit temperamental. The other day I needed to write a very important email to my girlfriend who is working abroad. When I came to send it, I thought, uh oh, better save it as a draft just in case. So did that, and clicked send. I didn't sit there and watch the activity bar down the bottom. And now, there is no record of the mail anywhere. It is gone from both drafts and sent mail. I've rebuilt my mailboxes, and checked everywhere. It has completely vanished! Why does this always happen to the really important mails! Basically whether she received it or not determines whether we split up or not! ha ha. Any help appreciated...
Simeon
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Have you tried using Spotlight to see if you can find the email on your computer? Maybe search Spotlight using her name, subject, etc...and see what you find there.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Also, be sure to check out User > Library > Mail

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Merged both threads for continuity's sake*
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flight Sim X | Suitcase Fusion - removing a problematic font »