New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2004 Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmy

jmy is on a distinguished road

I just got a MacBook, and had the Genius Bar people transfer all of my old iBook data onto my new comp. I can open and use Office programs like Word just fine, HOWEVER, if I try to open the program by opening a document directly, ie double clicking on example.doc, instead of opening Word, a window w/ an agreement for Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive opens up, asking me to agree to its terms. I haven't clicked agree, because I don't want my Word, that seems to work fine, turn into some 30 day trial version. What should I do? Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
TamiRene

TamiRene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool

Microsoft Office Test Drive comes with new MacBooks. If you decide to use the test drive, you will be able to open, type and save documents, but will not be able to print. At least, that was my experience. Do you already have Microsoft Office? If so, you can always uninstall the Test Drive that comes pre-installed on the computer.

"There are those who talk, and without knowledge or forethought reveal a truth which they themselves do not understand."

-Khalil Jibran
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

uh-oh! Somebody installed Office without uninstalling the Test Drive!
Go to the Applications folder in Finder and Trash the "Microsoft Office Test Drive" (or something like that). Office is packaged, so it shouldn't break the installation of your purchased Office. You might need to reinstall...but probably not.

You will almost surely need to reset default applications for .doc, .xls, .ppt and so on. Do you know how to do that? You could search the forum or post back here. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
jmy

jmy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys--I was able to trash the Test Drive, and made .doc, .xls, etc open default w/ my good old Office.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox window size question | Duplicating my startup drive »