New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Looking for free stop motion program for Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NickF182

NickF182 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 3 with Intel Core 2 Duo, 120 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM

I'm looking for a decent free (not free trial) stop motion program for Mac OS X. Do you have any suggestions? Thanx ^^

All hail the mighty Apple!!!
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

I feel for you. I've been searching for the exact thing for a long time now and istopmotion would be the only thing that ever came up. But I finally found something today if you are still looking.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles on istopmotion, but all I needed it for was to capture frames from a dv camera (it doesn't work with a still camera) and put it together as a quicktime movie. It also does time lapse. It doesn't have the greatest interface, but once you figure it out it's not so bad to use.

It's called SingleFramer
http://www.zachpoff.com/site/software/software.html
QUOTE Thanks
pinkymac08

pinkymac08 is on a distinguished road

You can use imovie to make stop motion movies. This site will tell you how http://photojojo.com/content/tutoria...igital-camera/

From what I can figure out if you have the new version of imovie that comes with leopard it won't work with that. But you can download a free version of imovie hd from the apple website if you already own imovie 08. this is the link to get imovie hd http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

there is also a free application you can use to make stop motion movies on your mac, this is the link to that app http://www.coolosxapps.net/2008/07/1...ion-made-easy/

hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
JamesBent

JamesBent is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White with 4GB of RAM

This is excellent! iMovie 09 seems to work with this - I just made a "very crappy" 3 photo short, with each short showing for 0.1 seconds, then exported. So great, don't have to buy iStopMotion just yet!

Thanks - going to make some digital fiction.. Outré
QUOTE Thanks
JamesBent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBent View Post
This is excellent! iMovie 09 seems to work with this - I just made a "very crappy" 3 photo short, with each short showing for 0.1 seconds, then exported. So great, don't have to buy iStopMotion just yet!

Thanks - going to make some digital fiction.. Outré
Just made a stop animation short this weekend using iMovie 09 and my Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd - just import into iPhoto, then import into iMovie 09, adjust the shot length to around .01 or .02 secs, turn off Ken Burns effect and bingo! Export and done. Excellent:
Short stop animation using iMovie & digital stills camera | Outré
QUOTE Thanks
Simonie

Simonie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"

Hey,
I am trying to make a stop motion movie, i have iMovie 9, but when i play my movie the pictures zoom in and out...

Do you know how i can remove that zoom-in/out 'feature'? i tried looking for that Ken Burns thingy, but can't see it anywhere...

i'm new to mac - all help is welcome :-)

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
JamesBent

When you have imported your pictures, hover over the first picture and a blue box with a white cog in it should appear in the bottom left hand corner. Click on this and select "Cropping, Ken Burns and Rotation"

In the image edit box, you should see the Ken Burns tab (the third tab) is selected. Simply change this to "Fit" (the first tab). This turns off Ken Burns. You may have to do this individually for all the images, or this may do the same for all images.

I
QUOTE Thanks
Simonie

Simonie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"

Thank you very much! works perfectly!
My iMovie is in danish, so it's a little different from what's written here :-)

Simonie

ps. i love my mac
QUOTE Thanks
JamesBent

Simonie - would love to see your movie once done!! Mine isn't anything too special, just a funny short really! This one (from the photojojo link) - is just amazing I think!: The Art of Motion
QUOTE Thanks
jberg

jberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBent View Post
Just made a stop animation short this weekend using iMovie 09 and my Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd - just import into iPhoto, then import into iMovie 09, adjust the shot length to around .01 or .02 secs, turn off Ken Burns effect and bingo! Export and done. Excellent:
Short stop animation using iMovie & digital stills camera | Outré
I can not get the shot length to less than 4 frames. If I enter .01, 0:01 or anything like that it automatically adjusts it to 0:04 (or 0,01 depending on what format I choose in the settings).
How did you manage to set it to 1 or 2 frames?
QUOTE Thanks
JustinR

JustinR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post
I can not get the shot length to less than 4 frames. If I enter .01, 0:01 or anything like that it automatically adjusts it to 0:04 (or 0,01 depending on what format I choose in the settings).
How did you manage to set it to 1 or 2 frames?
The number there is the number of seconds per image. The minimum value of 0:04 means 0.04 seconds per image. That would be the minimum value if your project is set to 24 frames per second because 1/24=.04. You can't use more than one image in each frame of the video, so don't try to adjust it to less than that.
QUOTE Thanks
sweed103

sweed103 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, i don't seem to be able to adjust the frame time to below 0.1 seconds. i am using i movie '09 version 8.0.6. Any suggestions?
I'm just double clicking on a frame and set the length. What ever i put in below 0.1 doesn't read.

Thanks for your time
QUOTE Thanks
jberg

jberg is on a distinguished road

You can change the time format in the preferences to be HH:MM:SS:Frames. When I do that I can set the duration to 4 frames, 0:04. But if I go lower than that it is set back to 4 again. So no good idea how to get down to 1 or 2 frames as would be good for stop motion.
Any ideas? It sounded like someone on this thread had managed to go below 4 frames?
QUOTE Thanks
birileri

birileri is on a distinguished road

As far as I can figure out, you can not go below 0.1s. But I used an alternative method to increase the speed.
I made the video with 0.1s, exported it, and then imported the same video and increased the speed as desired using the clip adjustments tool
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Preview.app - sidebar left or right? | Microsoft Office 2011 Questions »