New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Active X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stupid-computer

stupid-computer is on a distinguished road

I am building a website for a company using iWeb. When my client views it, it throws off his active x content security alerts when viewed with Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP w/ service pack 2.

This company's site visitors are likely to have the same moronic Microsoft software, same moronic Microsoft OS. Since I can't tell them all to shut their active X security alerts off before they pull up the site, what for the love of Ron Paul should I do?

Should I hack into the code and rip the active X out of the HTMLs (if that is even possible)? Is an active-X-free-iWeb-site just a nice idea.

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

This error happens if you embed Quicktime I think, yes? The user has to adjust their ActiveX warnings, or you have to remove the QT content.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

ActiveX is a proprietary Microsoft item, so iWeb cannot and does not embed it. Per Zoolook, something else is triggering the alerts, not ActiveX in the iWeb code.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
ActiveX is a proprietary Microsoft item, so iWeb cannot and does not embed it. Per Zoolook, something else is triggering the alerts, not ActiveX in the iWeb code.
Yes I was a little unclear in my post - you're absolutely right there is nothing in iWeb that generates ActiveX, but unfortunately after an update in IE6, the browser treats embedded video as an activeX component.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303631

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
stupid-computer

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
stupid-computer

My client has recently contacted me with the following message:

I'm able to open the latest version you sent. The e-mail graphic still seems to be missing. I can see it during the time that my browser is warning me about the ActiveX stuff. But as soon as I allow the ActiveX and the page finishes drawing, the graphic goes away.

I am such a mac-head I have no idea what he is talking about. Can anyone help me decode this and respond to the poor fellow, I really don't know what to do for him. Also, he keeps talking about ActiveX, but there are no QT files in the HTMLS I have sent him.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid-computer View Post
My client has recently contacted me with the following message:

I'm able to open the latest version you sent. The e-mail graphic still seems to be missing. I can see it during the time that my browser is warning me about the ActiveX stuff. But as soon as I allow the ActiveX and the page finishes drawing, the graphic goes away.

I am such a mac-head I have no idea what he is talking about. Can anyone help me decode this and respond to the poor fellow, I really don't know what to do for him. Also, he keeps talking about ActiveX, but there are no QT files in the HTMLS I have sent him.

Thanks.
Direct him to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

That should hopefully clear it up for him.

And just out of curiousity, why are you using iWeb to design something for a professional job?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
stupid-computer

Thank you for your help!

Also, I have been waiting for someone to ask a question just like the one you did!

Truth be known, I am just a graphics designer. I have always used iWeb (at least that is since it came out) so I don't know really where to start as far as a piece of pro web design software goes. I am open to suggestions, reaallly! I need help.

Keep in mind, I like iWeb cause I can design my stuff in Photoshop, and drop it in, move it around, scale it up or down just like in (flashback time!) ClarisWorks! Or shall we go even further back, HyperCard. Whoa! This does not mean I am not a learner, I am. I just am not great with all that code and numbers stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid-computer View Post
I am open to suggestions, reaallly! I need help.

Keep in mind, I like iWeb cause I can design my stuff in Photoshop, and drop it in, move it around, scale it up or down just like in (flashback time!) ClarisWorks! Or shall we go even further back, HyperCard. Whoa! This does not mean I am not a learner, I am. I just am not great with all that code and numbers stuff.
Well, industry standard would have to be Dreamweaver. You can do straight code with it, or use the WSIWYG.

If you're on a budget, check out RapidWeaver. It's very similar and has more functionality than iWeb does.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« strangers | Safari issues!!! »