New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

WD Anywhere Backup UNINSTALL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trinityr3

trinityr3 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have Leopard on a Mac Pro and installed "WD Anywhere Backup" software for my WD Mybook External 1TB drive.

I realized about 10 minutes into using it that I don't like this software and can't uninstall it.

I've done a spotlight search throughout the system for:

"WD Anywhere Backup" (the software name)
"WDMemeoAgent" (the name of the process sitting at user level)
"WDMemeod" (The name of process sitting at root level)

I've also checked User Startup Items and to no avail.

Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated. It keeps reloading itself everytime I reboot!!!

Thanks in advance,

TrinityR3
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

trinity give Western Digital Online Forums a try and see what they can come up with. Here is a link:-

http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/
QUOTE Thanks
brazilianaire

brazilianaire is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem - couldn't remove the program in its entirety from the system... it was making me quite the passive aggressive...

The following locations should give you enough folders to delete to get rid of the rest of the program. Although the names and folder structure may be slightly different as the below is for their overarching application LifeAgent - you should be able to remove all the offending traces of WD Anywhere Backup with a little common sense...

1 /Applications/Memeo LifeAgent
2 /Library/Application Support/Memeo/Memeo LifeAgent
3 /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Memeo/Memeo LifeAgent
4 /Library/Receipts/Memeo LifeAgent.pkg

FYI - The staff at Memeo were extremely helpful and quick to respond so snaps to them for having a good customer service team at least
QUOTE Thanks
trinityr3

trinityr3 is on a distinguished road

Hey Thanks for the tips!!! Your locations were correct although I'm still a bit confused as to why all those folder names and file names were omitted from the spotlight search?

That would be interesting to find out if anybody has an idea as to why.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

I had the same problem, I delated the stuff from the External HD itself but it still left MemeoAgent running. I just happened to re-install Leopard so it went away lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Macky

Macky is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, but in my Leopard system the WD Anywhere Backup software was installed in slightly different locations as those described by brazilianaire. I didn't have a Memeo LifeAgent in /Applications/ but instead I found a /WD Anywhere Backup/ map there which contained three files: "Read Me.rtfd", "WD Anywhere Backup" (application) and "WD Anywhere Backup Uninstaller" !
When I started the "Uninstaller" the "WD Anywhere Backup" was removed within a few seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
machombre

machombre is on a distinguished road

Thanks to brazilianaire (post on 1-21-08) I was able to get rid of the "WD anywhere backup" icon from my menubar. After repeated calls to Western Digital and to Applecare I was ready to give up. I am glad I checked this forum. I followed Brazilianaire's list of 'Memeo' items and was able to get rid of the menubar icon. First tie in many yrs that visiting a forum paid off big time. Thanks againg Brazilianaire for doing the research.
QUOTE Thanks
readhead

readhead is on a distinguished road

I just bought and subsequently returned a WD My Book Essential, which was running WD Smartware. I was dissatisfied with the product and decided to return it, but made the mistake of only deleting the WD Smartware instead of uninstalling.

Now that I've returned the drive and don't have access to the Smartware application, (and I can't just click on it and click uninstall,) I am trying to figure out how to rid my computer of all the remaining software since I didn't fully uninstall.

I read above about going onto the /Library and deleting from there, which I have tried, but when I tried to empty the trash, it wasn't allowed because the software is "in use." I'm not running WD Smartware currently, nor could I since the application itself it technically deleted.

Any ideas on how to get this stuff off my Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
musiclovesmoore

musiclovesmoore is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
I have been trying to figure out how to get the WD background service of my computer for over two months now and finally figured it out!

Go to system prefs, accounts, then under accounts select login items in the main menu bar.

Here you will see all your background services that are running, and should see at least two that are related to western digital. I forget what they are called because I already deleted them from my system.

You will notice that it will not let you remove some services via the + and - at the bottom. I'm not sure why, but the work around is to Control click on any one of the services that you want to remove (memo_agent might be one of them), which will give you a reveal in finder option. Once you do this, it will show you where on your computer the software is hiding out. Simply delete the revealed service/software and that is it! Be careful to only delete services that you are sure are related to the WD background service. I'm pretty sure all of them are mentioned in this thread somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
docter11

docter11 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

my solution: delete: Library / Application support / memeo / WD Anywhrer Backup / Agents/ WDMemeoAgent
QUOTE Thanks
ras0ne

ras0ne is on a distinguished road

I just created an account, because this thread helped me out and there was some additional stuff I had to do to get this dumb *** program of my mac.

Do the above and surf through those directories and delete all that Memeo crap

If you can't empty your trash because the process is running, do this;

applications>utilities>terminal

in the command line type this

pf -ef |grep WD

this will find the agent running

next find the UID for the process and type

kill -9 UID (this number will differ on everyone's mac)

now all that's left to do is empty your trash

BOOM done
QUOTE Thanks
casetay

casetay is on a distinguished road

Could not get that command to work in terminal...I'm dying to get this stupid icon off my menubar is there ANYTHING else we can try or did someone have success yet? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
stp

stp is on a distinguished road

When I looked at my "applications" folder on my MAC, there was a folder for WD Anywhere Backup that contains a file called "WD Anywhere Backup Uninstaller". I ran this and it removed everything in about 3 seconds. I was using version 2.5 (127). I also had lots of problems with the backup software and finally decided to just use Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
cgooder

cgooder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casetay View Post
Could not get that command to work in terminal...I'm dying to get this stupid icon off my menubar is there ANYTHING else we can try or did someone have success yet? Thanks
Hi there: I used the Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor) to force quit the WD software that was running in the background and it removed it from the menu bar. Then trashed and deleted all the files and folders as described above and voila... all gone.

This thread was so helpful that I just joined this forum. Thanks to all!
QUOTE Thanks
frekoutfil

frekoutfil is on a distinguished road

I too joined this forum because of the helpful advice on this message. Hallelujah! I am finally rid of that retched icon on the top of my mac. The activity monitor was very helpful to shut her down.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie edit button greyed out | Unlink Game from iPad and iPhone »