New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Why cant I download AIM for Mac? iChat text is TOO small

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

when i try to go to the aim for mac site

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/mac/latest_macosx.adp

it gives me a "bin" file not dmg

what gives?
help
QUOTE Thanks
Kuwisdelu

Kuwisdelu is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure. But try out Adium instead. Much better than AIM. You can use it with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and any other messenger services out there.

http://www.adiumx.com/
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwisdelu View Post
I'm not sure. But try out Adium instead. Much better than AIM. You can use it with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and any other messenger services out there.

http://www.adiumx.com/
i just downloaded that and the text is still really small even after trying to enlarge it..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

First, You can change the font size in iChat to whatever you want it to be from the Preferences/Messages Tab.

That BIN file can be opened with the Free Stuffit Expander but I will caution you, AIM for OSX is garbage and always crashes and full of bugs. Microsoft has not updated it in ages. I would first try to change the Font in iChat. If it's still not what you want, try Adium like has been suggested.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Microsoft has not updated it in ages.
I would hope Microsoft hasn't tried to update it

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just tell iChat to use a larger font in the preferences. You can also reformat incoming messages to be more legible as well:

QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Just tell iChat to use a larger font in the preferences. You can also reformat incoming messages to be more legible as well:

THANKS!! this is so helpful..how did u do that screenshot and that graphic?

also do u know if theres a way to make everyting on your screeen look bigger without compensating resolution?

sometimes the text on my web browser is too small as well and i notice that when i try to make th text bigger it kind of messes up the html format of the page?
QUOTE Thanks
Kuwisdelu

Kuwisdelu is on a distinguished road

Did you try to make it bigger by "Cmd +"? I haven't had a problem with that messing up format. Do you use Firefox or Safari? If it's the toolbars you're having trouble with, I think can find a Firefox theme with large buttons.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I took the screenshot and added the red circles using skitch:
http://www.plasq.com
It's now in public beta, so give it a spin!

"Command +" is the only way to scale content at the moment, at some point apple might also enable resolution independence in 10.5, but there's a good chance we won't see that until 10.6.
QUOTE Thanks
cybear

cybear is on a distinguished road

you can also sent the font and font size in the preferences for adium, in the Messages panel
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I took the screenshot and added the red circles using skitch:
http://www.plasq.com
It's now in public beta, so give it a spin!

"Command +" is the only way to scale content at the moment, at some point apple might also enable resolution independence in 10.5, but there's a good chance we won't see that until 10.6.
im sorry "Command +"

how does that work? i cant even find the command button?? lol (hence my newbie name ) i see ctrl...i see alt..command? where is it

also do u know anyhting about photo sharing on ichat? on AIM for windows u were able to send pictures via the chat im box..
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
im sorry "Command +"

how does that work? i cant even find the command button?? lol (hence my newbie name ) i see ctrl...i see alt..command? where is it

also do u know anyhting about photo sharing on ichat? on AIM for windows u were able to send pictures via the chat im box..
What Mac do you own? Which keyboard?

Pretty much All Apple keyboards have 3 keys to the left of the space bar. The first right after Space is Command that has a Cloverleaf symbol and on older keyboards an Apple. That is the command and the next key is Option-Alt and the last right on the end is Control.

On iChat I just drag the pic to the text entry area. You will see a green Plus sign. Just let it go and hit Enter.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Robust file copy solutions for OS X? | Boot Camp? »