New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mac Pro - Any Mac Pro Gamers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacProGamer

MacProGamer is on a distinguished road

Well, I may soon be one of them. After my long and tiring stint with PC's I believe the time has come to make a move over to the dark side....Apple. I'll soon be purchasing the newly updated Mac Pro with my configured goodies.

My plan is to run windows via boot camp to play all of my favorite games, including CoD ModernWF and Wc3 FT. I'll be purchasing in the next week or so, but before I do I'd like to hear the opinions of my fellow gamers. Advice, questions anything that could help me in this process would be fantastic.

Thanks so much
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

One thing to be aware of is that, even though Apple provides the drivers to get Windows working under Boot Camp, you may still need to update the drivers yourself for components like audio and graphics directly from the component maker.

Also... many of your favorite games may already exist for OS X. Warcraft 3 has long been available and CoD: MWF is coming. And some older titles may work under Crossover, which is a piece of software that lets you run some Windows apps in OS X without even having Windows installed. They have a new version optimized for games coming out later this year.

My general point here is... if yer going to get a Mac, why spoil it booting into Windows if you can avoid it?
QUOTE Thanks
MacProGamer

Oh that would be fantastic if CoD came out for Mac. And honestly I rather not have to boot through windows, but if I have to I will. Also, I thought It was only WoW not WC3 FT?

I dont think you can run a PC game on a mac can you?
QUOTE Thanks
Evnas

Evnas is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacProGamer View Post
Also, I thought It was only WoW not WC3 FT?
Blizzard makes Mac versions of all their games, not just WoW. They have been a leader in "cross platform" games for years in my opinion
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh that would be fantastic if CoD came out for Mac. And honestly I rather not have to boot through windows, but if I have to I will. Also, I thought It was only WoW not WC3 FT?

I dont think you can run a PC game on a mac can you?
Oh sure... well if you gotta, you gotta. Dual-booting is my only option for playing Bioshock, for example. But I have a couple older games that I play in OS X using Crossover. Basically Crossover creates a simulated Windows environment without the need for Windows. For the apps/games it works for, it's a far better solution to dual-booting or even using Parallels. But compatibility is limited, though a game-optimized version is coming. Half-Life 2 is specifically supported through Crossover, for example, and reportedly works very well.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Another WoW player here on my Mac.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
MacProGamer

Very cool

Ya, I checked out CoD MWF and its not supposed to be released until May.

So are you saying that its possible to use cross over to boot a PC game w.o having to boot through windows? I may be a little confused here.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Very cool

Ya, I checked out CoD MWF and its not supposed to be released until May.

So are you saying that its possible to use cross over to boot a PC game w.o having to boot through windows? I may be a little confused here.
Yes... if the game is supported. Crossover is different from other solutions in that you don't have to have Windows installed. It basically tricks the Windows-based software into thinking it's running in Windows. Check out the compatibility list on the Crossover site to see what works and what doesn't.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

I have a Macbook Pro and have no problems booting and running games on my Windows partition. I'm getting great performance playing Team Fortress 2, so your Mac Pro will only run even smoother.

Boot Camp is going to be your best bet, using something that allows you to run Windows games while you're running OSX also is going to slow your games down, probably a lot. For games, Boot Camp is the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZa View Post
I have a Macbook Pro and have no problems booting and running games on my Windows partition. I'm getting great performance playing Team Fortress 2, so your Mac Pro will only run even smoother.

Boot Camp is going to be your best bet, using something that allows you to run Windows games while you're running OSX also is going to slow your games down, probably a lot. For games, Boot Camp is the way to go.
Crossover actually has very minimal overhead. Remember... it's not loading Windows "in a window" like Parallels does. I've seen no performance hits in anything I've run under it.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

yep ^ when you said crossover, i was thinking vmware for some reason.

crossover should do the trick
QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

One thing to get if you're planning to play games on your mac (ESPECIALLY FPS), is to get a new mouse.
The mighty mouse is fine and all, but with FPS, you can't hold down right click and press the left click at the same time. This sucks if you're trying to snipe someone.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
MacProGamer

I have a nice Logitech for gaming on my current PC now, so the mouse issue is all taken care of.

I'm wondering if I should wait to buy the Mac version of CoD MWF in may or just buy the current PC version and load through boot camp. Ive been reading some reviews and apparently there are some minor glitches through windows that may be eradicated through the Mac version. Any opinions on this?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I play the original Call of Duty and Halo games on my iBook. As well as WC3/StarCraft and Homeworld 2
QUOTE Thanks
MacProGamer

Just ordered her today...$3,507.xx...including 8800 and wireless inter + 23inch display... Oh and that includes tax.

Super exited
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to iLife, need some help. | Progam for updating Firmware »