New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008 - What is it like?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

what is the new office 2008 like in your opinion?

Is it much better than 2004? I have 2004 but Im using pages as I prefer it. I think I will probably get 2008 if its a big upgrade as all the systems in my university are windows and use office and having to export the documents all the time is a pain.

If i save an office 2008 document on a mac, to get it to run and display correctly exactly how it should do in office 2007 on windows, will I have to export it or save it as a set format or will it just work straight out the box so to speak?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Office 2008 documents will work just fine with Office 2007, no conversion necessary.

I just got Office 2008 yesterday and while I haven't spent much time with it (will be spending quite a bit of time with Word once the semester starts next week), it definitely seems snappier than Office 2004. It also looks more refined and fits in quite well with Leopard. Also, the Ribbon is very nice, but then again, I like the Ribbon in Office 2007 as well. From the reviews I see that you can customize it, so I'm gonna go give that a try eventually.

Overall, I think it's a worthy upgrade for those with Intel Macs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

thanks, I'll get it.
QUOTE Thanks
DeathtoToasters

DeathtoToasters has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
what is the new office 2008 like in your opinion?

Is it much better than 2004? I have 2004 but Im using pages as I prefer it. I think I will probably get 2008 if its a big upgrade as all the systems in my university are windows and use office and having to export the documents all the time is a pain.

If i save an office 2008 document on a mac, to get it to run and display correctly exactly how it should do in office 2007 on windows, will I have to export it or save it as a set format or will it just work straight out the box so to speak?
Entourage is ALOT faster and it just feels more stable. It copied my settings over from 2004 with no issues.

Like the previous poster...it fits (the looks) tons better.

"Death to Toasters" - John Connor

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"The Heavens will run red with Blood, but in the End, As Always, Thanos will Stand Triumphant!" - Thanos
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

Is there an Office 2008 trial?

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

No trial version, at least not listed on Mactopia (Microsoft's Mac page).

In the screenshots I saw, between the menubar and the ribbon it's seems like a LOT of the upper part of the screen is taken up compared to '04 where you just have the top ruler. Is there a way to customize so not so much screen real estate is taken up?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

If you are running an Intel mac, then Office 2008 is a no brainer. It is so much faster than the previous one. Otherwise, there are a lot of UI changes and features that make it look more like a Mac application.

However, I use iWork
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

I use iWork too, but I have been toying with the idea of getting Office 2008.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Office only makes sense if you are working with many PC users, that is, exchanging word files and such. Pages can open the occasional word file or even export it, but doing it regularly is really ideal. As for me, I work start to finish in Pages outputting it as a PDF.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Too bad they didn't add visual basic macros back. Its still not compatible with its own counterpart with excel or word macros that were encoded with the Windows Office VB macro set. I have lots of excel and word macro loaded workbooks and document forms from my job created with Office 2003 and 2007 for Windows and none of them work in Mac Office 2004 or 2008 which truly sucks. Thats the only reason I spent the money was to see if they would work at home where I wouldnt have to lug the office Windows laptop back and forth. The interface in excel and word is different. Not really better, just different. Functionality is basically the same as 2004 unless there is something hidden that I haven't found yet. I definitely will not be wasting my money on Office 2012 for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

I have it now and I have had a quick play with word.

I have to say I prefer office 2007 on windows to this mac 2008 vershion but it is an improvment over office mac 2004 and its similer to the windows vershions than iwork.

Im not sure im to keen on the weird equivalent to the ribbon bar that mac office 2008 has and I find the one on windows to be much better.

Im sure I will get used to it and it has replaced iPages in my applicational arsinal.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

You cannot open Entourage 2008 in two separate windows like you could 2004. I would open a window for email and one for my calendar, but not any longer.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Office only makes sense if you are working with many PC users, that is, exchanging word files and such. Pages can open the occasional word file or even export it, but doing it regularly is really ideal. As for me, I work start to finish in Pages outputting it as a PDF.
While working with PC Users is important, I disagree that that is the only reason to use Office over iWork.

IMHO, Pages is still not fully ready for prime time yet. Word dances circles around Pages in ease of use and flexibility. If all you want to do is use a pre-made iWork template or write a simple letter, then Pages can do that easily. Anything more difficult/demanding and Pages just isn't as good as Word.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kuwisdelu

Kuwisdelu is on a distinguished road

Which is better is really a matter of opinion.

But neither are that great if you don't have money. I vote NeoOffice ^_^
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
If you are running an Intel mac, then Office 2008 is a no brainer. It is so much faster than the previous one. Otherwise, there are a lot of UI changes and features that make it look more like a Mac application.

However, I use iWork
I used to use iWork primarily because it was faster and better looking than Word. However, now that Office is a Universal binary, I don't think I'll be using iWork as often (with the exception of Keynote, it's much better than Powerpoint).

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is something screwed up with Flip4Mac? | Simple Windows game wont work. »