New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008 - What is it like?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Yes you can - just ctrl-click on the calendar view and select 'Main Window' and it'll get it's own window. In fact you can have unlimited separate windows by doing this - you could have 20 mail windows open if you want.
I wonder why they changed the way you open a 2nd window. In 2004 it was very easy, there was an option to open Entourage in a "new window" and that was it. So is there a way to open two Entourage windows like this from boot up?

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

hndcvcboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
I wonder why they changed the way you open a 2nd window. In 2004 it was very easy, there was an option to open Entourage in a "new window" and that was it. So is there a way to open two Entourage windows like this from boot up?
You can create an Automator script
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

hndcvcboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
what is the new office 2008 like in your opinion?

Is it much better than 2004? I have 2004 but Im using pages as I prefer it. I think I will probably get 2008 if its a big upgrade as all the systems in my university are windows and use office and having to export the documents all the time is a pain.

If i save an office 2008 document on a mac, to get it to run and display correctly exactly how it should do in office 2007 on windows, will I have to export it or save it as a set format or will it just work straight out the box so to speak?
I was really looking forward to Office 2008 just to get Entourage but now that I have it I'm going to stick with Mail.

Entourage has a known bug where it doesn't play alert sounds for New Mail arrival consistently. It also does not allow you to set your own sounds, you're stuck with the default set.

It does not recognized mailing address or phone number contact info in the body of an email and automatically insert that information into your Address Book like Mail does.

It doesn't seem to have any stationary and is not as easy to drag and drop pics and edit them in the body of your email like Mail does. It does have a feature that allows you to insert a picture as your background. COOL

Unlike Mail, it puts all your emails in one LARGE file making searching slow and cumbersome. This method of storing your emails is also not good with Time Machine making it nearly impossible to restore just one email at a time. It also tends to take up vast amounts of space on the backup HDD if you have thousands of emails.

I realize that business users may not need or want these features but I do and as such I'm going to stick to using Mail which by the way has it's own issues. Im confident that Apple will correct the defects in Mail in a timely manner so I'll continue to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

The other thing that is useful for me with Mail is if I receive an email with a meeting date in it, Mail allows me to add that date directly into iCal.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Office 08 Also seems to use up a lot of ram as well, I have both Office 08 and iWork 08 and I opened both of them, Pages is using 42Mb of ram compared to Words 128mb. The same for the rest of both Suites apps, Iwork also takes much less time to start up than Office!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo200 View Post
Office 08 Also seems to use up a lot of ram as well, I have both Office 08 and iWork 08 and I opened both of them, Pages is using 42Mb of ram compared to Words 128mb. The same for the rest of both Suites apps, Iwork also takes much less time to start up than Office!
I think that is partly down to Office loading in a lot more fonts and templates into memory, but mostly because Pages is using a lot of the OS functionality (like Safari does for example) whereas Word does not. Word should integrate a lot better into the OS.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I think that is partly down to Office loading in a lot more fonts and templates into memory, but mostly because Pages is using a lot of the OS functionality (like Safari does for example) whereas Word does not. Word should integrate a lot better into the OS.
That could possibly be it, I havn't had much time to experiment with Office and I rarely ever change fonts or use templates but thats just me as its just basic text typing so i'll be sticking with Pages cause I prefer faster startup times. But I still just love it how apple integrates everything together so neatly!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

personally i like it it but then again i got it free, for the money maybe not necessary as it doesn't, to my knowledge, have any more 'key' features than office 2004, its more of a very nice refurbish but that's just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
personally i like it it but then again i got it free, for the money maybe not necessary as it doesn't, to my knowledge, have any more 'key' features than office 2004, its more of a very nice refurbish but that's just my opinion.
It's about 20 times faster on Intel.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

anyone noticed the lack of a flashing curser when you click inside a word document?
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I was able to purchase Office 2008 through my job, with a discount. At work, I like Entourage for exchange server email. It still does not have all the feature of even Office 2003 for Windows.

I spend much of the time in Word. Overall, it appears Word is okay, the interface is taking me a bit to get used to. Text rendering seems better than Office 2004. In my reports I place "Page X of X", it took me a few minutes of fooling around to figure that out. The header field check box dialogue has a delay. In other words, when I go to close the header field, I click on the (X) a few times before it responds. Word does not remember my toolbars from one session to another. I add the reviewing toolbar, quit word, re-open it and the have to add it again.

Entourage imported my old exchange server settings no problems. Unlike Outlook, I have to insert a background image every-time. Overall I like Entourage, and the my day has been helpful. At home I will stay with Mail.

My only complaint is a general one, Microsoft has always treated Mac users as second class citizens. This version of Office is more Mac like than pervious ones, still lacks features of the Windows counterpart.
QUOTE Thanks
mattblack

mattblack can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
You "warezd" it didn't ya - gwaaan, you can admit it; we are your counsellors!

Only joking!.
QUOTE Thanks
RogRhein

RogRhein is on a distinguished road

I recently imported all of my contacts from Outlook 2003 to Entourage 2008. In Outlook I could easily change the tag or "Display as" for, say, a married couple with individual email accounts. With Entourage, it appears that whatever I have in the name fields will automatically display when I send email. Is there a way in Entourage to change the email tag without creating separate accounts for each individual?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogRhein View Post
I recently imported all of my contacts from Outlook 2003 to Entourage 2008. In Outlook I could easily change the tag or "Display as" for, say, a married couple with individual email accounts. With Entourage, it appears that whatever I have in the name fields will automatically display when I send email. Is there a way in Entourage to change the email tag without creating separate accounts for each individual?
In the Name & Email tab, you can input a Nickname, and this will be displayed. Go to any contact and open it, this is a field you can fill in.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
rich6490

rich6490 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm

I like it, no complaints. Yes its different, its new, you have to learn where everything is, but what's new thats software for ya. I would recommend it over iWork for anyone that has to integrate at all with other Windows users.

-Zach, A.C.T.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is something screwed up with Flip4Mac? | Simple Windows game wont work. »