New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008 - What is it like?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hndcvcboi

hndcvcboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I would hope Thunderbird supports IMAP, otherwise I have three accounts in Thunderbird that must have some pretty sick POP3 features
Well maybe I just overlooked the feature but when I installed it and setup my account there didn't appear to be an option for IMAP. I was only presented with POP3 and no way to change it that I could see.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Well I assure you that IMAP works great in Thunderbird. Definitely give it another try.

Btw, the email account you're setting up, does it happen to be a free email service like Gmail?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

I personally prefer iWork over MS Office. I don't know why, I've tried them both and I just prefer iWork. iWork is not only faster but can do the same thing in a more simpler fashion

For example to put in a pie chart into a document, in pages you just click on chart and choose a pie chart, you can then edit the data via the data editor. However with MS Word '08, in order to edit the pie chart or the graph or whatever you need open up excel. thats just stupid!!!!

Basically iWork (pages and keynote especially, probably not numbers so much) has a nicer interface with more or less same features as in MS office '08 but they are presented in a simpler way. Typical Apple vs Microsoft.
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

Quote:
Well I assure you that IMAP works great in Thunderbird. Definitely give it another try.

Btw, the email account you're setting up, does it happen to be a free email service like Gmail?
It is Gmail and yes I have my Gmail settings configured properly. I've been using Mail and Entourage with Gmail IMAP for a long time now.
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

Quote:

Ok, I stand corrected. I just re-installed it and after a few minutes of working with it I found the settings for IMAP. It does seem like a good email program, very snappy and responsive.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you got it

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwisdelu View Post
Which is better is really a matter of opinion.

But neither are that great if you don't have money. I vote NeoOffice ^_^
It's not opinion, it's fact. Pages is not as nearly full featured as word....period.

NeoOffice is complete, ugly, garbage IMHO. You can disagree with that.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
I
Basically iWork (pages and keynote especially, probably not numbers so much) has a nicer interface with more or less same features as in MS office '08 but they are presented in a simpler way. Typical Apple vs Microsoft.
I disagree. First, iWork does not have equal features to Office. It has enough for the average home user, but it is far from equal.

Secondly, "simpler" is certainly opinion. I find Pages to be a nightmare to figure out compared to Word. Same with Numbers vs Excel. About the only app I'd give the nod to over its Office equivalent would be Keynote.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Different people, different opinions. I just find pages easier to work with than Word. And this is not just coming from a macboy. I honestly feel that way. Maybe cause I'm very used to it. I just know that I never got good looking output from Word, the way I do with pages. The way you can drag and drop images, move them around, move text boxes, access iLife Media, it all just works for me.
You may just not be used to how to do those things in Word. I can create some very visually appealing documents in Word. I agree that Pages may be easier, but Word is just as capable if you know how to do it.

But aside from page layout design, I find Word to be much more powerful with regard to word processing. For example, I find iWork/Leopard's new grammar check to be utter junk.

QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I disagree. First, iWork does not have equal features to Office. It has enough for the average home user, but it is far from equal.

Secondly, "simpler" is certainly opinion. I find Pages to be a nightmare to figure out compared to Word. Same with Numbers vs Excel. About the only app I'd give the nod to over its Office equivalent would be Keynote.
I don't understand what makes Office better then? I mean what features does office have that iWork doesn't?
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
I don't understand what makes Office better then? I mean what features does office have that iWork doesn't?
This is just a small thing, but when saving a document in Pages why do I have to export it each time to a Word.doc? Why not a "save as" option then each save is in that format. No, each save has to be exported, which is just plain silly.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

yh I know what you mean. I assigned a keyboard shortcut for the export command. I set it to Command + E. makes it super fast and easy
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

While I'm usually working with Adobe Indesign for most of my work, I still find it much simple to create a nice document in Pages. First of all, it's an apple software. This means that it is really tightly integrated with the rest of the system. A big plus for me.

Second, when I drag and drop in an image, it is automatically moveable. And the option to either follow text or free of it is very easy to find in the inspector. Sure it's there in Word as well, but it is definitely much harder to find considering that it has so many 'features' around.

Word is meant for Word processing, (whatever that is). Pages on the other hand can handle both Word processing and page layout. For instance, with text boxes, which are now linked for flowing text. It's almost as good as Indesign is. I am forever looking for where to draw text boxes in Word.

Where does this leave us? Word seems to be geared up with a whole lot of features which most people don't use. Sure there will be some business types who use all those weird ones, but for the regulars, Pages is mighty enough (and mighty cheaper I might add).

I would also highly recommend anyone who is working with a lot of Windows PCs (and passing Doc files to and fro) to get MS Office cause while the capability is there in Pages, it's far from perfect.

@Dellinger: The save as option usually signifies that the application is capable or reading and writing that file properly. Pages on the other hand can't properly read Doc files, neither can it write them properly. So in order to keep someone from saving their important file as a "Doc" file, and later opening it to find that it's completely borked, the option is to "Export" it. So you have your original Pages file, but have the capability of exporting to Word.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
@Dellinger: The save as option usually signifies that the application is capable or reading and writing that file properly. Pages on the other hand can't properly read Doc files, neither can it write them properly. So in order to keep someone from saving their important file as a "Doc" file, and later opening it to find that it's completely borked, the option is to "Export" it. So you have your original Pages file, but have the capability of exporting to Word.
Yes, but once I use the "export" it would be nice if that mode of save so to speak was then the default format, instead of reverting back to the "pages" format. I really want to go all Mac software, and not use any MS, but I still need some word processing features that Pages is lacking. Lastly, the 2008 Word really offers nothing new (at least for me) so I'll be sticking with the 2004 version.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
You cannot open Entourage 2008 in two separate windows like you could 2004. I would open a window for email and one for my calendar, but not any longer.
Yes you can - just ctrl-click on the calendar view and select 'Main Window' and it'll get it's own window. In fact you can have unlimited separate windows by doing this - you could have 20 mail windows open if you want.

To say that Office 2008 is quicker on Intel than Office 2004, would be an understatement of truly biblical proportions. And also, I think people give iWork a little more credit than it really deserves. There are many features absent in Pages compared to Word, same as Number vs Excel. As has been said, if you just need to type the odd letter or do your school work, it's fine, but Office really does have enormous depth - and if you use Word on a daily basis, you'll know what these features are.

I'd love to do a full review, but had little time this weekend. but, I have been using the retail version since Thursday and it's pretty good - although at the end of the day, it's just a Office suite!

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is something screwed up with Flip4Mac? | Simple Windows game wont work. »