New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008 - What is it like?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Different people, different opinions. I just find pages easier to work with than Word. And this is not just coming from a macboy. I honestly feel that way. Maybe cause I'm very used to it. I just know that I never got good looking output from Word, the way I do with pages. The way you can drag and drop images, move them around, move text boxes, access iLife Media, it all just works for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You're right about Pages being better in its ability to handle more than just text. Which is why I will use Pages when something I'm working on calls for it. However, when it's just text, I'm going to use Word.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

To me, when it comes to 'just text', I find no differences in TextEdit, Word or Pages. It's the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Anyone think MS purposefully left out VB macros to cripple the Mac version of Office so many people would be forced to continue using Windows and Office on their Macs? I think it's a pretty low thing to pull. I don't have any use for it yet, but I know I will in the near future in my career, and I'm not happy that there will be yet another reason why I have to have this partition and other OS on my already too small 120GB drive.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
cNK

cNK has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)

I just installed Office 2008 on my MacBook yesterday and while it does look great, I haven't really notice any difference in speed. PowerPoint does seem a little snapier, but Word shows no improvement on my machine...
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

What are these VB Macros everybody keeps mentioning?

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
MPX

MPX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcltrh View Post
Too bad they didn't add visual basic macros back. Its still not compatible with its own counterpart with excel or word macros that were encoded with the Windows Office VB macro set. I have lots of excel and word macro loaded workbooks and document forms from my job created with Office 2003 and 2007 for Windows and none of them work in Mac Office 2004 or 2008 which truly sucks. Thats the only reason I spent the money was to see if they would work at home where I wouldnt have to lug the office Windows laptop back and forth. The interface in excel and word is different. Not really better, just different. Functionality is basically the same as 2004 unless there is something hidden that I haven't found yet. I definitely will not be wasting my money on Office 2012 for Mac.

I agree. As an new convert to Macs, I wanted to be able to operate a simple ordering program that was created for me in Excel that has VB macros to allow me to save orders, print and load previous orders.

I am not a computer expert, so when it says it can be redone in applescript, I am stuffed.

Can anyone convert this for me?? Otherwise, I have just bought a piece of software that won't do what I bought it for and I will have to continue running it in windows, thereby making the purchase of this Macbook somewhat pointless so far!

Hope someone can help!

Gordon.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Well VB is microsoft technology which I don't think will be coming to the mac just yet.

^^ Did you try the standard edition? It comes with a lot of Automator actions which are sort of replacements for macros. Applescript on the other hand is not at all difficult to learn, but given that most people don't have time to learn yet another language, it can be a bit annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Well I for one won't be redoing my macros, because my office has literally hundreds of VB macro encoded forms and data analysis tools that are for one thing, password-protected so I couldnt change them if I wanted to, plus and are updated and redistributed weekly. it really sucks that they didn't include that functionality because, hey they are Microsoft after all and this is a Microsoft product and Microsoft who just got my wasted $150. However, its ironic that although VB is a Microsoft product, Neo-office and Open Office do support those VB macros, I just like to use what it was written in instead of some other product.
QUOTE Thanks
cNK

cNK has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)

I just tested PowerPoint and it's compatible with the Apple remote!
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

hndcvcboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD

I've been using Entourage for a few days now and so far it has crashed on me 4 or 5 times. I have it setup for IMAP with Gmail and I have several thousand emails dating back about 3 years. Entourage 2008 just isn't stable and when it crashed I get the dreaded Send Error Report to M$ message. I'm going to switch back to Mail which by the way has it's own issues and doesn't always notify me with an audible alert when new mail arrives. What is with these flaky OS-X apps? Makes me wonder if I made the right choice to switch from Windows..........
QUOTE Thanks
GringoBoy87

GringoBoy87 is on a distinguished road

I chose to buy Office when I got my MacBook because of compatibility reasons. I'm a college student and don't have the time or patience to be worrying about converting iWork documents to Office compatible documents. When I bought Office 2004, they had an offer to get Office 2008 for free. I only had to pay shipping and handling, but I haven't received it yet. Probably take a while for them to ship it.

Pride, Strength, Wisdom
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndcvcboi View Post
I've been using Entourage for a few days now and so far it has crashed on me 4 or 5 times. I have it setup for IMAP with Gmail and I have several thousand emails dating back about 3 years. Entourage 2008 just isn't stable and when it crashed I get the dreaded Send Error Report to M$ message. I'm going to switch back to Mail which by the way has it's own issues and doesn't always notify me with an audible alert when new mail arrives. What is with these flaky OS-X apps? Makes me wonder if I made the right choice to switch from Windows..........
You might want to check out Thunderbird. It's been rock stable on my machine since I installed it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
hndcvcboi

hndcvcboi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
You might want to check out Thunderbird. It's been rock stable on my machine since I installed it.
Thunderbird doesn't support IMAP which is why I don't use it. I've already switched back to Mail. At least it's stable and maybe Apple will fix it's other issues in the 10.5.2 update.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

I would hope Thunderbird supports IMAP, otherwise I have three accounts in Thunderbird that must have some pretty sick POP3 features

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is something screwed up with Flip4Mac? | Simple Windows game wont work. »