New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Which Virtual Machine software to go with?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zoli

zoli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 15 2.2ghz - 2gb - 8600m gt | ipod nano 8gb

Hay All,

Got my Macbook Pro before christmas and Im loving it
One question I have is that Im currently running Windows XP Home in Boot Camp which is working a treat however sometimes I would like to use XP from the comfort of the Mac OS, only reason being is then I have access to my tunes, while booting into XP is great especially to play games but when work interrupts (which is the main reason I bought this thing) I would like to use Office (Vision/Project) from Mac OS and of course listen to my music.

Does any of the VM software work on the XP partition that I already have installed or will I have to create another partition just for use with the VM?

Also which are the best (parallels is what I see the most) and are their any free types available? I'm guessing no?

Thanks

Z
QUOTE Thanks
zoli

Okay download trial of parallels and well Im pretty impressed except for 1 aspect and that is that windows now wants me to reregister my copy of windows as the hardware specifications have changed.
Has anybody got a work around for this?
Their is no way Im paying for another key
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Personally I prefer VMWare, it's more stable than Parallels. And Parallels support is abysmal. As for the key issue, you can't run Windows on more than one machine, VM or otherwise.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoli View Post
Okay download trial of parallels and well Im pretty impressed except for 1 aspect and that is that windows now wants me to reregister my copy of windows as the hardware specifications have changed.
Has anybody got a work around for this?
Their is no way Im paying for another key
Yep, that will happen. Virtual Machine hardware specs will be different than your Physical Machine hardware specs. That has nothing to do with Parallels at all.

I use VMware and love it. I have not used Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
Dawson

Dawson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo with 2.5 gigs of RAM

VMware is by far the better piece of software. Don't even bother with Parallels.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
VMware is by far the better piece of software. Don't even bother with Parallels.
Why so? I'm not contesting... I just don't know much about Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Why so? I'm not contesting... I just don't know much about Parallels.
I found it unstable, and would happily corrupt the drive images of VMs. Posting support questions on their forum - which was not linked to directly on their site - produced no response from them at all, no matter how serious the issue. I don't know, or care, if newer versions are any more reliable.

VMWare has been flawless for me since day one, I consider Parallels to be a waste of money. It's annoying to see it in Apple stores when it's an inferior product.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Wow. Well. I bought VMware because... it was the first one I tried. Guess I lucked out!
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
Wow. Well. I bought VMware because... it was the first one I tried. Guess I lucked out!
You did - I bought Parallels because it was the first one I tried!

QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Fatboydim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I have had no problems at all with Parallels. It works well in coherence mode which is great. Means i can play my fave poker site and work at the same time.

As for windows. If you installed Windows xp on the boot camp partition then once you hve installed it via your virtual machine [parallels or VMware] you will have to re-activate it. But this is a painless process by phone if you have your documentation. You don't have to talk to a person. just make sure you confirm you are installing it on the same machine.

I had a hard drive failure on my windows machine that meant I've done this three times now while messing with raid configurations.
QUOTE Thanks
zoli

what documentation do I need? just serial key?
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

I use Parallels, not by choice really, but because I got it as a special promo for free when I bought my iMac. Is it worth it to switch to VMware? If so, why? Convince me? And by the way, I only use Windows for 1 program.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
I use Parallels, not by choice really, but because I got it as a special promo for free when I bought my iMac. Is it worth it to switch to VMware? If so, why? Convince me? And by the way, I only use Windows for 1 program.
Just go and download the VMWare Fusion demo.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I saw some good reviews of VMware Fusion and downloaded the demo. Easy to install and performed flawlessly (almost - see end) so I bought the product (Amazon had the best price at the time). Running XP and using MS Money, Word, Excel (the latter two only when I have to send docs out to Win users), Personal Ancestry File (Genealogy app) and best of all it allows me to use my Canon D660U Scanner which is unsupported on my mac.

Still haven't sussed how to print from XP and have to save docs to my mac desktop and print from there which is a bit of a pain but only a bit as I don't need to do that very often. I did get to print from XP but got an extra blank page followed by an error message on another page which I worked around by printing only specific pages not the whole doc. However, on returning to OSX found that my mac would not communicate with my printers so I'm now back to square one on that front. I'll raise a new thread on the site in due course if VMWare support cannot resolve.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I've used Parallels to run Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and OpenBSD. I haven't had any serious issues. I'd say I'm happy with Parallels so far.

Business Objects services starting in 2003 seem to have a timeout issue, but eventually start up. I also had an odd understanding about starting the VM and opening the images. Can't really explain that one.

I tried to get an OpenStep image created, but was unsuccessful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finance and billing software | Gameranger and Intel imac »