New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do you organize your gmail account with IMAP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

damainman

damainman is on a distinguished road

I recently switched to Mac from Windows, and I'm also planning to switch to gmail and drop hotmail.

However, in hotmail I had everything organized in folders and had filters set up to automatically organize incoming mail into the proper folders. Even when I viewed my hotmail through outlook.

However after reading around the gmail website, it claims they use labels and not folders. But if i create a label it doesn't appear as a folder in the leopard Mail program.

So my question is, how should I go about organizing my gmail so when I view it on Leopards mail program, all incoming mail is sorted into folders to keep my mail organized like i did on hotmail?

Thank you in advance for any advice that may assist me with this.
QUOTE Thanks
mac880104

mac880104 is an unknown at this point

I know what you're asking (I think). I had the same folder/organizational withdrawal when I switched from outlook to gmail and mac mail.

What I did, and I'm not certain this will be enough for you or not; is to simply create a bunch of smart mailboxes in mac mail...
QUOTE Thanks
damainman

damainman is on a distinguished road

how will that affect my mail considering im using Imap?

See when i viewed hotmail in outlook, all my hotmail folders appeared there and all my mail was organized via hotmail before I even viewed it in outlook.

Considering gmail has no folders, i'm not sure how to organize my mail. If i decide to use the mail app to organize my mail... what impact will that have on my mail in gmail since i'm using Imap?

Sorry if what i said sounds confusing, but im confused as well as to how the mail app will handle folder organizing while using imap with gmail..lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error in IMAP For Gmail in Apple Mail? | need help with safari »