New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail downloading all messages using POP Gmail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sesro1978

Sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini - 512 Mb RAM

Hi-

I recently set-up Apple Mail to use my Gmail account to send/receive email messages. One problem/issue I've noticed though is this:

-When I reply or send a new email from my Gmail account (not using Mail) at work, when I get home, Mail downloads all new mail plus any replies I've sent during the day.

Is there any way to configure Mail/Gmail to only download new mail and not all my replies and new messages sent outside of Mail during the work-day?

Thanks for any help!

~Seth
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Afraid not. This isn't a "problem" with Mail per se, or any other email client for that matter. Your Gmail is web-based and maintained by Google, not by Mail or any other client on your computer. Mail cannot distinguish between old and new messages with Gmail so all it essentially does is synchronize with Google.

The only way to keep Mail from dowloading your replies sent earlier is to delete them off the server first. You don't have this "problem" with normal POP email because replies aren't saved on the server to begin with... they are saved on your computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time machine external to external? | can't install pro application support »