Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   time machine external to external? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/92265-time-machine-external-external.html)

gauranga 01-14-2008 03:22 AM

time machine external to external?

I have a question about Leopard's Time Machine.

I'm looking to get a MBP.

I saw the demo on Leopard Time Machine and I think it's great. But what I want to use Leopard Time Machine for is to back up one usb external drive to another usb external drive.

So will time machine backup a usb external drive to another usb external drive?

I using 1.5 TB usb drives.

Lamboo 01-14-2008 11:17 AM

I'm also interested in this.

I'd also like to know how easy it is to backup two external hdds to a external hdd

gauranga 01-14-2008 01:18 PM

I'll try it out after I move some files around.

Will time machine delete files on the drive it's using for back up do you know?

Where do we find out how to use the appz any way. My Mac doesn't hook up to the web so the video tutorials don't play. Is there a way to watch the video tutorials on a pc?

thanks

Lamboo 01-14-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gauranga (Post 570370)
I'll try it out after I move some files around.

Will time machine delete files on the drive it's using for back up do you know?

Where do we find out how to use the appz any way. My Mac doesn't hook up to the web so the video tutorials don't play. Is there a way to watch the video tutorials on a pc?

thanks

I'm just as ignorent to this as you are lol. I've got no idea at all how to use time machine. It's quite a scary thing to start i think.

the8thark 01-15-2008 01:58 AM

Well have toy tried using the the help menu on your mac when in the finder. And pitting time machine into the help function there. That should tell you quite about time machine and how it works/how to use it.

smartyMAC 01-15-2008 03:08 AM

TM is meant for backing up internal drive to an external drive. It can not backup an external drive to some third drive. You can do that through shell scripts / automator jobs.

Just wondering why would someone want to backup one USB disk to second on a regular basis?

slinki 01-15-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartyMAC (Post 571012)
Just wondering why would someone want to backup one USB disk to second on a regular basis?

I was wondering the exact same thing!

If you wanted to do it then all you would have to do would be to open the two hard drives in finder, and copy the files from one external drive, over to the backup external drive. I cant see that not working.

It seems you are making it very complicated for yourself.

So what you could do is...use time machine to backup your internal hard drive to an external hard drive. That can be automated using time machine. Then backup that external hard drive onto your second external hard drive by the method I mentioned earlier (drag and drop).

Does this make sense?