New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What is the deal with iChat

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zinzygeene

zinzygeene is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone (or at least the few unfortunate to be reading this)

A week ago I got my iPod touch, and not much later I got so obsessed about Apple that I got a 13'' inch MacBook, too.
I am very unfamiliar with the Mac OS system, and despite that fact I am trying to manage myself through this experience as well as I can.
Like so many others on the Dark Side (and basically here in the Netherlands) I've been hooked on MSN Messenger since the first day I heard of it, and I've installed it as an application on my Mac now, too.
However, iChat looks much more appealing.
I must have looked over every single forum thread / tutorial that I found to get my MSN contacts in iChat. Things I never thought about using - Psi, Jabber etc. - are now installed on my brand new baby. Despite my greatest efforts I have still not been able to get the whole thing up and running, so here it is:

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how I can comfortably schlep my MSN friends into iChat and be cool in class because I'm no longer an MSN user?!
I'm not looking for 'OMG I can't believe you don't know how to DO that' replies, just a person who can properly guide me through the process, because this whole thing is driving me insane.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

iChat doesn't support the MSN chat protocol, it only supports AIM, .Mac & Jabber/ Google Talk messaging services.

You can use Adium instead of the MSN client if you prefer. It's an open source alternative that is considered by many to be the best multi-protocol chat client on any platform.
QUOTE Thanks
zinzygeene

zinzygeene is on a distinguished road

Hey there! Thank you, but luckily I was able to set the thing up anyway through

http://ascarter.wordpress.com/2006/0...chat-with-msn/

Takes some attention and effort but works nicely!
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzygeene View Post

What is your experience with this so far?
QUOTE Thanks
Gaz

Gaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz

it works, but i think i prefer adium.

24" iMac 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 580GB EHDD, Firewave, 7.1 Sound System. Mac Mini 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.1 Sound System, 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor, EyeTV with Miglia Mini. Apple TV 160GB.iPod Mini Blue 6GB
QUOTE Thanks
mac880104

mac880104 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzygeene View Post

Nice find man... Although, I'm not certain I will go to all that effort to add MSN onto iChat. LOL I may though in the future (but I don't have many friends on MSN to begin with).
QUOTE Thanks
Collapshi

Collapshi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Imac

i just tried it, and it works fine, not awesome just fine,
it disconnectes every now and then, and now psi desabled the transport options, and block me from using msn. also in adium.
so im quite fuc*ed up right now, was able to fix the problem, and when i rebooted the machine the same problem happened, but psi doesnt allow me to enable the transport. now so. back to the crappy messenger. cant use even adium
Rrrr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto .mac sign-in not working | Ahhh! Crazy fonts! What gives? Please help! »