New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Freeware reccomendation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Evil Stig

The Evil Stig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac OS 10.4.11 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB HD, U2 Ipod (30GB)

is there any free(or shareware) software that you think its good and seems better than others or is just very helpful

some that i already use is:

VLC
Adium
Quciksilver
AppDelete
Firefox
NeoOffice
Disk Inventory X

any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
riscy

riscy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP

Here are some freeware apps that I use:

SongBird (media player)
GIMP (PhotoShop alternative)
YamiPod (move music to and from an iPod)
Audacity (if you do music recording)

"I've go too much energy to switch off my mind, and not enough to get myself organised." The the
Try using BootPicker with BootCamp
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

Use the search feature, there are a lot of threads on this. I notice you are new, so for future reference, search feature is your friend. Even if you have to dig through results for 10 minutes, you'll probably get your answer a lot faster than waiting for responses.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree with the above.

But I'll help too. Here is a few free apps I really fund useful.

Onyx (System maintaince and tweaker)
Transmission (Torrent downloader)
Mactracker (Info and technical specs on every apple hardware product ever released)
Audio Overload (Plays video game music in their native formats)
The Unarchiver (A great expander for compressed files)
DOS Box (It's DOS!)
Disk Inventory X (Graphical interpretation of your hard drive contents)
Split And Contact (For when you need to break a file up into more manageable parts and connect the parts at a later time)
Sheep Shaver (Pre OS X on intel Macs.)
Easy WMA (Converts unprotected WMAs to other more useful formats)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

in addition to some of the great apps already listed...

renamer4mac - awesome full featured renaming utility - so useful, i've added it to my tool bar on my finder windows.

max - provides a very nice cd ripping alternative to itunes.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
in addition to some of the great apps already listed...

renamer4mac - awesome full featured renaming utility - so useful, I've added it to my tool bar on my finder windows.

max - provides a very nice cd ripping alternative to itunes.
Eric - Thanks for the pointer to Renamer4mac. I've been searching for something as versatile as this to rename my photo collection as renaming thousands of photos all in the format DSCNxxxx is no fun if you want a life. Max looks great too. I don't have a need for it just yet but I've downloaded it ready for a future need.

Thanks to for the original poster for asking the question again - otherwise I'd never have known about these two products.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

glad i could help

just found max myself - was reading an old macworld, and after finding some weakenesses in itunes rip quality, this sounded like a nice alternative.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

How is renamer4mac as opposed to using Automator? I use Automator to do things like photo renaming.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i have used automator quite a bit to rename large numbers of files, and it would often put them out of their original order. also, renamer just has a more intuitive interface and is easier to use, and to switch between different sort of renaming. so if you had to do a couple different things to the file names to get them how you wanted them, renamer will do it very fluidly and show you a preview of how the filenames will look after the change.

completely worth trying it.

QUOTE Thanks
ShadowSpandex

ShadowSpandex is on a distinguished road

Growl - System wide notification (site is currently having problems)
Reader Notifier - Menubar item that checks your google reader account for new posts
Camino - Light weight browser built on the gecko engine
ByteController - menubar itunes controller with growl notification and universal hotkeys
MainMenu - (another) menubar item that gives you quick access to osx maintence scripts and such
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Gee, I don't know maybe:
A switcher's guide to OS X Software

or one of the other threads on this very topic?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
gana

gana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz Power PC G5

try Neo Office .. not literally freeware but is open source. Break the nexus of microsoft!
QUOTE Thanks
The Evil Stig

The Evil Stig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac OS 10.4.11 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB HD, U2 Ipod (30GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Gee, I don't know maybe:
A switcher's guide to OS X Software

or one of the other threads on this very topic?
ye sorry i now know that lol at least ive now learned my lesson
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TranslateIt for Macintosh help | Lanrev or Casper for imaging/management »