iTunes black screen on startup
    Hi all,

Have a fairly frustrating issue here. About 5 months ago I got an iPhone but my contract with Sprint wasn't yet up, so I activated it with one of the iPhone activation programs. All was well until I recently installed Leopard. Then, the moment I plugged in the 'activated' iPhone (because I was planning on finally activating it with AT&T, no less), the entire screen went totally black. After I moved my mouse around, I saw it moving with the spinning beach ball, but my keyboard was totally 100% responsive. I had to shut down my Mac Pro by holding down the power button.

I disconnected the phone but now every time I launch iTunes, I get the exact same symptoms. Immediately the entire screen goes black, and I can move my mouse but everywhere I move it it's a spinning beach ball. I tried to download iTunes and install it; I tried to install just the Apple Mobile Device component; I tried deleting the iTunes application and the AppleMobileDevice.kext file then reinstalling iTunes; I tried installing iTunes 7.4; I tried upgrading from 10.5 to 10.5.1; no matter what I do, every single time I launch iTunes, my screen immediately goes completely black and I have to hold the power button to restart.

Any help/ideas would be much, much appreciated. Thank you!

Never mind. Turns out it has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone. I went into Applications/Utilities/Console, looked in CrashReporter, found the iTunes crash logs, and it turns it out it was just the most recent iConcertCal version I had installed a week ago (and had not restarted iTunes since then). The iPhone must have triggered it and every time since then, the calendar crashed iTunes on startup.

Crisis averted!

Thread Information