New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MacBook - newbie pls help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmacuser4

newmacuser4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook & ipod

hi all,
my husband just bought me my first and only macbook for xmas, and i'm having a hard time trying to navigate through. ..i have a program that i'm trying to install on my macbook now called PROSERIES 2007 (it's a tax program for work) and when i input the CD-ROM, its asking for me to choose an application to run the program...i'm trying to install, not run it off another application....any suggestions? am i able to install outside programs on a mac?

any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thx,
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

Well I looked up the ProSeries site and I think you are out of luck unfortunately. It looks to be a Window platform only program so in order to run it you will need to install Windows using BootCamp or Parallels. I'm not to sure it will run on VMWare or not.
QUOTE Thanks
riscy

riscy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP

Sounds like it is a Windows CD - can you open the CD and does it show exe files? If so the advice above is good, use BootCamp and install XP Service Pack 2 or Vista.

"I've go too much energy to switch off my mind, and not enough to get myself organised." The the
Try using BootPicker with BootCamp
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser4

newmacuser4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook & ipod

i'm a bit concerned about downloading Bootcamp or any other large programs on my new mac...i dont want to ruin it in anyway, have you heard of any problems ppl have had when they download windows?

thank you for your advice, i truly appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
riscy

riscy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP

If you have Leopard on your Mac then you already have BootCamp, but you will need a copy of Windows XP (service pack 2) or Vista as well, you cannot download unless you do that illegally and you will not get any help with that here.

"I've go too much energy to switch off my mind, and not enough to get myself organised." The the
Try using BootPicker with BootCamp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding own objects in Pages... | pop up ads »