New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008 reviewed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Not very extensive, but one of the early reviews.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/...008-review.ars

I am buying this day 1. I am a heavy Office user (Entourage and Word mainly) and love the Project Center in Entourage. I can't wait to get away from Rosetta.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What's the release date for 08? I'd like to get my hands on it ASAP as well

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I had read that they removed support for macros. What's up with THAT?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

It's supposed to hit shelves on the 15th of this month. I hope it doesn't take too long for my university to get it on so I can pick it up for ~$10-20! Like Zoolook, I use Entourage's Project Center quite extensively to organize my classes and projects. It's a handy feature. Since I won't have to use Office 2007 in order to open '07 documents any more (the converter doesn't always work 100%) I may just kick my gaming habit and take Windows off my MBP completely!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

Alright, why get Office over iWork? Just wondering, I haven't used office on mac, I've been using iWork.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I had read that they removed support for macros. What's up with THAT?
The VBa implementation in Office 2004 and earlier could not be made Universal for Intel Macs.

Rather than re-implementing it, Microsoft just dropped the feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Alright, why get Office over iWork? Just wondering, I haven't used office on mac, I've been using iWork.
Three reasons:

1. Compatibility with other people who use Office
2. Compatibility with corporate Exchange servers
3. Numbers is not a replacement for Excel.
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

1) You can save iWork files as Office files.
2) Huh?
3) Why not?

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
1) You can save iWork files as Office files.
2) Huh?
3) Why not?
1 - Just because you can save iWork files as .doc doesn't make them 100% compatible. When in a corporate environment, this might be important at some point. iWork is also missing a a fair amount of the functionality of Office, especially in Word.

2 - There is no support for Exchange Servers in Apple Mail - you need to use Entourage, which comes with Office.

3 - Because it lacks much of the advanced functionality of Excel, in particular VB and advanced macros.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
1 - Just because you can save iWork files as .doc doesn't make them 100% compatible. When in a corporate environment, this might be important at some point. iWork is also missing a a fair amount of the functionality of Office, especially in Word.

2 - There is no support for Exchange Servers in Apple Mail - you need to use Entourage, which comes with Office.

3 - Because it lacks much of the advanced functionality of Excel, in particular VB and advanced macros.
Exactly...except for the part about VB, which is supported in Numbers exactly as it is supported in Excel 2008...that is, not at all.
QUOTE Thanks
hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

Yes, I hate having to use Rosetta
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Exactly...except for the part about VB, which is supported in Numbers exactly as it is supported in Excel 2008...that is, not at all.
Oh really? Nice one, I didn't know that.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Oh really? Nice one, I didn't know that.
There's been a lot of discussion of this. (But I say, not enough, especially in the review you linked to.) It's a dealbreaker for some people who depend on VBa macros for compatibility. The Macworld review of Excel gives it some mention.

Microsoft's "solution" is to switch to AppleScript. Which is fine, unless you need the scripts to work in Office for Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resourc...=fordevelopers

Essentially, the VBa engine in Office was written, or rather, kludged together, a decade ago, and hasn't had any serious maintenance. There was no way to make it Universal, and Microsoft isn't going to bother kludging together a new one.
http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2006/08/...-visual-basic/
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/04/25.html
http://www.psynixis.com/blog/2006/08...source-or-die/
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I have debated on whether to buy Office 2008. On one hand, I think Microsoft Office products, whether Windows or Mac are well done, although admittedly bloated.

For my Job, I can certainly create documents in iWork, as long as I have the ability to export in Word Format, and the same for spreadsheets. Since I work in Education, I usually get the Teacher/Student addition. This time around, Microsoft Entourage does not support exchange servers, with the Education version. Plus, I never use PowerPoint. In short, I am having a difficult time justifying Office 2008 purchase. If I was able to just get Word as a Stand-Alone, that would be nice, although Microsoft does not do that on the Mac version of Office.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

What are VBa macros? Does that mean all macros? I sometimes use simple macros in Word and Excel, for example in Excel to automatically fill out a form. Will I still be able to do this in 2008?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
scottyk617

scottyk617 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs

OK, so the home/ student version doesnt have exchange support, but does it have entourage and can it access.mac accounts?

bit of a noob question, but i dont want to waste cash!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Address Book - no SMS in Leopard | imac virus? »