New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Apple Mail won't send or recieve

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Saigus

Saigus is on a distinguished road

I'm using newly installed mac OS X (10.5.1) and new .mac account. so this all leads up to setting up my email through my .mac account so I've got the whole thing working, I get a conformation email from apple and one from google purchases, and even one from a gmail account, low and behold I cannot reply to any message or create and send any message without getting prompted to choose from a list of servers (a list of one) and resend or try again later. There is also a link called connection doctor which says my .mac account is connecting to the internet but my server is not. so how about a little experiment? I asked my friend using a @sbcglobal.net email address (yahoo?) and I never received it, again the same thing with gmail etc. but I was able to create an account for this forum and get the email to confirm account! I suck at electronics so please humor me and explain my (probably excruciatingly simple) problem. ;D
-the ever confused noob
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Pop the install DVD into the drive and boot from that. Go to utilities, Disk Utility and run Verify Disk. Then run Repair Permissions. You will find it will take its own sweet time - about 20 mibnutes or so.

Try mail again. You mail have to go to Mail preferences and delete your old account, click on the little (-) sign, setting up new account (click on the (+) sign), making sure all names, passwords and dots are in the right place.

Let's know how you go?
QUOTE Thanks
Saigus

Saigus is on a distinguished road

thank you so much! It finally works!
-embodiment of joy.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Great stuff!

Just a matter of seek and ye shall find?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« uninstalling canon software | iTunes Artwork en masse »