New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS 10.4 - Word Doc attachments...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LundJ

LundJ is on a distinguished road

This is probably a simple fix but I can't figure it out.

After recent Microsoft updates to my Powerbook's Microsoft software on my G4 Powerbook, 2003 Word doc attachments are no longer recognized by my OS (10.4.11) as Word docs. The Word doc files are renamed winmail.dat and Graphics Converter tries to read them and of course can't.

How do I get my OS to recognize Word docs for what they are?

Thanks,

LundJ
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

winmail.dat files are not Word files. They are Microsoft Outlook email files, and you can ignore them.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to proper forum - Question has nothing to do with OS X but third-party software*
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

what email client are you using
QUOTE Thanks
LundJ

If anyone sends me a Word doc attachment it arrives as a winmail.dat file when I open it from our ShawMail server.

So what I am thinking is that something happens when it goes through the server that changes it and it is then not recognized by my Powerbook's OS or onboard Word software.

I don't know why because all was working fine a week ago before Word and other software was automatically updated.

Is there a way to instruct my software to recognize is as a Word doc?

Thanks,

lundj
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

the file appears as a winmail.dat because outlook has encoded it in an odd way.

If the sender formats their message as RTF rather than HTML or plain text, the mail is encoded in that outlook only format

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utiliti...s-Enough.shtml

The above utility claims to be able to extract the info out of that format
QUOTE Thanks
LundJ

Thanks louishen....I will take a look at that.

Cheers,

lundj
QUOTE Thanks
LundJ

louishen,

That is a sweet bit of software you referred me to. Thanks for taking the time.

As a writer I need to send and receive lots of Word docs so this will relieve some anxiety.

Cheers and thanks again,

John Lund
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Photobooth | AduimX Plugin »